From: n8...@googlegroups.com [mailto:n8...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Sergey
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:10 AM
To: N8VEM
Subject: [N8VEM: 10611] N8 - Software

Hi,

I finished building the board (pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/skiselev/N8),
and did some smoke tests. So far no magic smoke had escaped any components
:-) But I suspect I need to reverse the LM317. I also measured some
parameters (whatever I could to measure with simple multimeter / frequency
meter).

The next step would be running some software, and actually testing the
hardware. It would be very useful if someone can compose a software / ROM
images manual. I am pretty sure that there is a lot of information scattered
across this mailing list, but for new builders (like me) it will be really
helpful to have everything in one place.

Few questions I have so far:
1. There is a CPM 2.2 image in N8 Software folder. For whatever reason it is
configured to use either 6.144 MHz or 12.288 MHz CPU clock instead of
recommended 18.432 MHz (that I have).
   a. Why CPU clock for this image is different from recommended? If
18.432 is still considered the standard clock, lets have a ROM image for it.
I understand that some developers might want to use a different CPU clock,
but it shouldn't be much problem with compiling and uploading both standard
and non-standard clock images.
   b. Where do I change UART frequency divider so it will work with
18.432 MHz crystal.
   c. The image is built for 1MB EPROM. How do I change it / recompile it
for smaller EPROM/flash?
2. I assume that after applying power (if everything is assembled
correctly) the CPM 2.2 image will start and print something to the serial
port (the first serial port or the second one?), is that correct?
3. I was under impression that people were able to run MSX-compatible BIOS
on N8 prototype... was I dreaming or it is really happened? And if it really
works, there can I find MSX-compatible BIOS image?
4. What test programs should I run to test:
   a. Sound
   b. Video
   c. Both serial ports
   d. Joystick ports. BTW, a schematics for MSX joysticks would be very
helpful. If i remember correctly it something like 6 buttons, and no
potentiometers (like in IBM joysticks)
   e. Anything else? Floppy, IDE, SD card, RTC, memory backup?

Thanks,
Sergey