Re: DIY ISA backplane

For whatever reason I clicked on 'Reply to author' button, so Martin
and I had an e-mail conversation :-)

Anyways, here is the brief update:

- I am reluctant to use any of hexadecimal 7-segment decoders because
they are no longer in production
- I proposed two solutions:
1) One can use prototyping space on the backplane board to implement
display decoder of his choice. It will be possible to reuse the
address decode logic. The disadvantage is that it may result in many
various implementations, which could be difficult to support.
2) Use a 74LS573 latch (instead of relying on the built-in latch in
74HCT4511), support a variety of decoders configurable with a couple
of jumpers on pin 3 and 5 (74LS47, 74LS48, 74LS247, 74LS248, DM9368,
CD4511, 4311, D346D, etc.), have a jumper for connecting common
display pin either to VCC (for common anode drivers/displays) or to
the ground (for common cathode drivers/displays). Some of these
drivers have current limiting circuits on outputs, in this case jumper
wires can be installed instead of the current limiting resistor
arrays.

The second option looks like a more universal solution, but it adds
some complexity - an additional IC and 3 jumpers.

Note: While 74LS47/48/247/248 are not hexadecimal decoders, they
display distinct figures for values A-E and a blank for F, so it is
possible to derive the displayed digit by looking at the datasheet.

Thanks,
Sergey