Re: S-100 IDE BOM/Parts list?

Hi Nick,

The organization of the wiki is very hierarchical and the most important folder for people like
you and I is the front page:

http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/4200908/FrontPage

and from there you  use the "Pages & Files" button to access the wiki file system.

Once you do that, you come to a page called "Pages & Files" where there is a screenful
of top level folders. Of primary interest to you would be the "Board Information" folder.
Here is the URL where that takes you…

http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder&param=Board%20Information

Now having arrived at the "Board Information" page, you would be interested in the S-100
folder. Here is the URL

http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder&param=S-100%20Boards

At the bottom of this page, on the right, is a notation such as "1-18 of 18". You need to be
aware that sometimes there are more than twenty items on a page, and you have to scroll
down and do a next option to get to the 21-… entries.

But in this case there are only 18, so everything is visible.

I think the "S-100 IDE" folder is what you want. Here is the URL…

http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder&param=S-100%20IDE

Very often after you hit a link, you have to scroll up to see the results. I think
this is a bug in the pbworks website.

It is common in our wiki, that a file with a ".lst" suffix is the parts list for a specific board.

Just how detailed the parts list is depends on the designer, or whoever put together
the parts list. For builder's like you and I, the final authority on parts is the schematic.

Our naming convention for the schematics (unfortunate as it is) is "Printing XXX-sch.pdf"

And the board layout is called "Printing XXX-brd.pdf". When you are looking at the board
layout file, you have to scroll down a few pages to get to the page with the silkscreen
which is often helpful about chip placement and identification.

After that the designer is the final authority, although Andrew is helpful.

Once you get into the parts list, you will notice it is in two sections, the first is sorted
by part identification A - Z.

The second is by parts value (1st column).

The third column contains the names used in the CAD tools for the type of part, and it
takes some time to get the hand of figuring out what they imply. For instance a C1V5
is an electrolytic capacitor. C2 is not electrolytic.

14dip300 means a 14-pin socket is called for, and 300 is the width of a normal LS chip.

In some projects, a helpful soul will create a BOM.lst file containing more information
such as sourcing for parts and part numbers.

I have had to buy from as many as five sources to get everything for a project. (N8)

Usually it does not take but one or two. The sources I use, in order are:

Jameco, Digi-key, Mouser,… Then there are a few oddball sources that specialize
in certain things, such as www.arcadeparts.com.

If you have a question about parts for the dual IDE board, you can always reference
the schematic, and if that doesn't clarify your question, asking about it on the list
usually gets a good result. The builders are generally very helpful.

The BOM files usually are created by people like yourself after you find sourcing for
the parts. I myself posted all my invoices when I bought the parts for the N8.

Here is the URL to that folder…

http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder&param=N8-2511%20Component%20Sources

The more people like us work through the projects and create more friendly documentation, the nicer it
is for subsequent builders. If you create BOM for this project, with part numbers, I will have an easier time
of it when I go to build my IDE board. (which will happen shortly).

I hope all this has helped…

Cheers,

Douglas