RE: [N8VEM: 8701] Re: ECB Dual DMA IDE board and ECB bus extender board final check

Hi John!  Thanks!  I agree.  This weekend I’ll order some prototype of the ECB bus extender and Dual DMA IDE boards so we can evaluate these.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

From: n8...@googlegroups.com [mailto:n8...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of John Coffman
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:56 PM
To: n8...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [N8VEM: 8701] Re: ECB Dual DMA IDE board and ECB bus extender board final check

On 02/23/2011 06:36 PM, Andrew Lynch wrote:

Hi John!  Thanks!  Probably the RTC is overcome by events now as it is a left over from the GIDE origins.  We can add in the FDC and DMA controller if it would be helpful although I would like to find out if the Dual DMA IDE controller works.  Making changes will cause another design cycle and take more time.  This is the classic features vs time trade off.

Would the board still be accessible using just the IO ports or would it require DMA to access the IDE and/or FDC chips?  I presume we could still do both regular IO polling and/or interrupt driven mode and a DMA access mode.  Do you have a schematic for the changes?

I guess my preference is to do a small run of these boards and verify the Dual DMA IDE design and then add in the FDC and DMA in a second design revision.  Thoughts, comments, questions?

I'm in complete agreement.  Let's see if that dual DMA IDE can be made to work first; a prototype run (with no more changes) is heartily endorsed by me.

--John