RE: [N8VEM: 2481] Re: Disk I/O IDE Session Log

Hi Rich!  This is getting better by the moment!  I just noticed that pin 27
on the XT-IDE project (IORDY) has a 10K ohm pull down resistor on it.  It is
a wonder anyone gets an IDE interface to work at all!

It appears the IORDY is an output from the IDE hard drive so I cannot see
why that would be pulled low on the controller side.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

[AJL>]

Agree.  Pulling low an IDE hard drive output makes no sense in retrospect
even though some IDE interface designs incorporate it anyway.

>     /DMACK is an output from the host to the drive. If DMA isn¹t being
> used,
> it should be pulled-up. The current Disk-I/O schematic shows it as being
> pulled down.

[AJL>]

Agree.  Easy fix to cut the GND trace leading to R3 and add a jumper to VCC.

>     For Cable Select (CSEL), it appears that the drive usually provides
> the
> 10k pull-up. If not using Cable Select, make sure to use the jumper on the
> drive to select Master so that it's pulled-down.

[AJL>]

Agree.

>     So, for testing purposes (tonight hopefully), I plan on pulling the
> bottom legs (closest to the IDE connector) of R1 (CSEL pull-up) and R2
> (DMARQ pull-up), and R3 and connecting the free leg of R3 to Vcc (to
> create
> a pull-up rather than a pull-down). People¹s experience with their drives
> working with all resistors removed is consistent with what I outlined
> above
> with the exception of the pull-up on /DMACK.

[AJL>]
Good luck my friend!  Good hunting!

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

PS, I fear we will be going through this all over again with the 8 bit IDE
project on the VCF so save your notes!  There are all sorts of squirrelly
stuff on the XT-IDE design as well.  I am glad to have insisted on building
a prototype for them or it probably would have ended badly!  That's no
guarantee but it's better than the guess game that the IDE "standard" is
turning out to be!  :-)