Re: [N8VEM: 1672] - was Propeller Terminal - switching power supplies?

> As an aside, this morning I drew up a schematic for a
> switching power
> supply board. I've sent it off this afternoon to China
> to be made. 5V,
> 12V, adjustable and 3V3 outputs.

James,

What level of power outputs are you working with? At the risk of going OT (but this really is a "vintage CP/M" project) - I'd love to see a switcher with +16, -16 and 8 volt outputs to replace the vintage linear supplies in my S100 chassis.

Typical power levels were 8v at 20-30amps, +16v at 2-3amps. Each individual card had local regulation (multiple 7805s, 7812s)to provide stable power levels. Not the most efficient system but it worked well when a box might have 10 or 12 power-hungry cards strung out along the bus and no ability to load sense. It would be cool (pun intended) to be able to swap in a switching supply. I'm currently using a pair of switchers trimmed up to appropriate levels in a test box and it works quite well.

Jack