RetroBrew Computers Forum
Discussion forum for the RetroBrew Computers community.

Home » RBC Forums » General Discussion » uClinux running on a 68008 board (uClinux on an 8/32-bit 68008 microprocessor)
uClinux running on a 68008 board [message #7477] Thu, 09 April 2020 14:08 Go to next message
computerdoc is currently offline  computerdoc

Hi 68K Enthusiasts!

Encouraged by a fellow member, I am sharing about building a 68008 SBC called 68Katy! This is the url:

https://www.bigmessowires.com/68-katy/

I found this project sometime in the last 10 years. I have been wanting to build a 68008 board for most of the last 10 years, but I needed to either come up with a design or share someone else's design. While studying the 68Katy web page, I noticed 1 glaring problem. I didn't know how to solder surface mount devices! I have recently become more interested in learning the fine art of soldering SMDs so I began to study how other people have done it including Plasmo. I think I am ready to take the plunge and get my SMD soldering feet wet! Fortunately, the 68Katy only has 1 SMD! This SMD is a CPLD with legs very close together, well for me anyway. After studying other SBC builders on Youtube, I have decided I will try using solder paste and use the kitchen oven to solder the SMD on to the board.

I downloaded all the files and sent in the gerbers to jlcpcb.com. While I waited for the boards to arrive, I studied the 68Katy web site very carefully to make sure I understood everything the designer and builder of this board said. Having not built a board in over 2 years since my family moved to NC and not having a place to work, I finally figured out how I was going to proceed creating a workspace for my PCB building. That is an account all to itself which I will not bore you with. Suffice it to say I now have a place and a table to work on. Whoo-Hoo!

Once I received the boards from jlcpcb.com, I looked over the boards carefully for any problems. After not finding any problems with the PCB, I started populating the board with parts I had on-hand to see what parts beside the CPLD I was going to need to order. I made my list and ordered the needed parts for this board and another board that is on building hold due to needed parts I don't have for that board as well. Out went the order to a couple of places and now my 68Katy board is on building hold as well.

Since I used his gerbers, my board with look much the same as his except for 1 particularly interesting point! The Sparkfun USB to 8-bit Parallel port module has been discontinued! Eegads! What am I going to do now? I needed to come up with another way to add a USB port to this board without the Sparkfun board. Hmmm... My gears start spinning for a while, like days and weeks until I hit upon a couple of ideas I had been tossing around in my mind. The first idea is to make a board to adapt my FTDI USB to Parallel board to the Sparkfun's USB to Parallel module's foot print since it uses the same chip. The 2nd idea is to look for a schematic for the Sparkfun USB to parallel board. Lo and behold, the ad for the Sparkfun board has not only pictures, but a schematic and eagle files as well. I think I'll choose making a copy of the Sparkfun board! I was going to use though-hole parts for everything I could, but to ensure the board worked the 1st time, I decided to use Sparkfun's layout of their board.

This brings me up to the present. I have the eagle files for the original Sparkfun board inserted into my eagle program but I have not had the board fabricated yet. As yet not conquering the SMD soldering hump in my abilities, I'm not quite sure how to order the correct parts for the SMDs for that board so I am going to have to ask for some help deciding how to choose the correct footprint parts for this Sparkfun duplicate board as I haven't found a BOM - Bill of Materials yet.

Now for a couple of pictures. The designer and creator the 68Katy's board looks like this:

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=1749&private=0

My board currently looks like this so far:

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=1752&private=0

Well, here it is! I can't seem to flip the picture around so that it is oriented in the same direction as the original 68Katy. Other than that, my 68Katy is pretty much identical except for the different color LEDs.

Please let me know what you think of this board and its possible applications. Please do be kind as most of us are still learning! Smile

Your fellow SBC builder,

Kip

Kip Koon
computerdoc at sc dot rr dot com
http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/User:Computerdoc
Re: uClinux running on a 68008 board [message #7478 is a reply to message #7477] Thu, 09 April 2020 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ab0tj is currently offline  ab0tj
Nice work! I would have soldered the CPLD first if you plan on using solder paste and an oven to solder it, though... Perhaps you'd be better off with using a bunch of flux and the drag soldering technique?
Re: uClinux running on a 68008 board [message #7481 is a reply to message #7478] Thu, 09 April 2020 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
computerdoc is currently offline  computerdoc

Hi ab0tj,

I think I will try my hot air gun, but without a tip to concentrate the air flow, it might not work. Do you know where to get hot air gun tips for electronics?
With the correct concentration tip on the hot air gun, I should be able to use the solder paste anyway as I have seen in a few videos. Correct? Otherwise I'll try the drag solder technique though I will need a bottle of flux! Don't know if I want to buy a gallon of flux. Anybody have a bunch of liquid flux of which I can buy a small bottle's worth?

Kip

Kip Koon
computerdoc at sc dot rr dot com
http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/User:Computerdoc
Re: uClinux running on a 68008 board [message #7484 is a reply to message #7481] Thu, 09 April 2020 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ab0tj is currently offline  ab0tj
I'm definitely no expert, but I have had good luck with some flux paste (available on Amazon) and drag soldering. Also some solder wick in case of any bridges that the flux won't clear up. I have tried solder paste and hot air a few times, but ended up using too much and had to go back in with a soldering iron and flux anyway. That's not to say you won't have better luck than me though!

You can find 50mL bottles of liquid flux on eBay. Look up Louis Rossman on Youtube if you want to see some professional soldering with tons of flux Very Happy
Re: uClinux running on a 68008 board [message #7487 is a reply to message #7477] Fri, 10 April 2020 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greghol is currently offline  greghol

I've got 5 of these boards fabbed a few months ago. I think I have 3 left now.

All the parts have been purchased for one board and is in the queue to build.

The pins on the CPLD is pretty large as far as pitch is concerned. A 25W fine tip soldering iron with some magnification should do. Should take about 2 min to solder depending on experience. YMMV.

Yes, The FTDI USB adaptor is no longer made by sparkfun. I picked up some FTDI parts from Digikey and will use point to point wiring and make something up.

Greg
Re: uClinux running on a 68008 board [message #7488 is a reply to message #7487] Fri, 10 April 2020 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just4fun is currently offline  just4fun
Very interesting!
I've a 68008 SBC on my "to do" list, of course done "my way" using a MCU as universal I/O emulator.
Because I've found only HMOS 68008 (I mean not CMOS), I've to change the usual approach I've used with the Z80 and V20HL CPUs (both CMOS), and I've found a DIP package MCU that should be ok for that (so all the SBC will be THP).
We'll see...
Re: uClinux running on a 68008 board [message #7519 is a reply to message #7488] Tue, 14 April 2020 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yves-D. is currently offline  Yves-D.
@Just4Fun: You could use a 68EC000 / 68SEC000, it's CMOS and can be configured with the MODE-pin to do 8bit bus accesses just as the 68008 does.
Software wise it's compatible and supports more memory as it has some more address pins than the 68008.
The 68SEC000 core is even a static design where the clock an be stopped/resumed.

Yves
Re: uClinux running on a 68008 board [message #7532 is a reply to message #7519] Wed, 15 April 2020 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just4fun is currently offline  just4fun
@Yves-D: Thanks for the info! I haven't had the time to "study" the 68K family yet... Because the 68SEC000 seems to be available "around" only in a SMD package, the PLCC 68EC000 seems to be a good candidate.
So the two "candidates" are the CMOS 68EC000, that allows to use the same approach used in the Z80-MBC2 and V20-MBC, or the 68008 with the "new approach" for not-CMOS CPU...
We'll see...

Fabio
Re: uClinux running on a 68008 board [message #7534 is a reply to message #7532] Wed, 15 April 2020 08:16 Go to previous message
Yves-D. is currently offline  Yves-D.
@Just4Fun: You're welcome. Your projects are highly interesting and innovative to me. I keep an eye on to your progress with the V20-MBC and will do so if you embark on an 68k project.
It changes a bit from the predominant Z80 projects, of which i have my share sitting around on my desk. The nice design of the 68k CPU is a lot more straightforward than the Z80...but you can't say that aloud around here ;-)

PS: If you're going to be bus-fiddling on the 68000 execution cycle with an Atmel as co-processor, pay attention to the fact that every 68k had some instruction prefetch.
Even if it appeared officially in the datasheets with the 68010, the basic 68000 also did it, see here: https://community.nxp.com/thread/357766
Unexpected instruction prefetch might blow up your bus control logic.

While I've seen the instruction prefetch with the logic analyzer on a working 68020, I've yet to confirm it on an 68EC000 when my homebrewn board is working.

Yves

[Updated on: Wed, 15 April 2020 08:28]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Anyone here attracted to Magnetic Bubble Memory?
Next Topic: Zeta 2 Z80 SBC

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 10:44:47 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00706 seconds