RetroBrew Computers Forum
Discussion forum for the RetroBrew Computers community.

Home » RBC Forums » General Discussion » Sipix pocket printer (An interface for our retro machines)
Sipix pocket printer [message #7027] Tue, 04 February 2020 10:55 Go to next message
kareno is currently offline  kareno
Does anyone remember the SiPix 'Pocket printer A6'?

My late partner was into Palm computers and bought one of these printers for portable hard copy.

They come with IrDa (kinda the predecessor to Bluetooth) but also had a standard serial connection.

It took quite some research to figure out how to drive it, but I succeeded in getting a PIC to translate plain text into the graphics commands expected by the printer. So now I have a simple ASCII printer for my 8 bit creations!

Free for non-profit use but I do not own the copyright on the font I've used.

Re: Sipix pocket printer [message #7032 is a reply to message #7027] Tue, 04 February 2020 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew B is currently offline  Andrew B
Administrator
That's cool. Add a mini-keyboard and you'd have a neat little retro teleprinter-style terminal. I see these printers are still reasonably priced in various places online as well.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 February 2020 21:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Sipix pocket printer [message #7034 is a reply to message #7032] Wed, 05 February 2020 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kareno is currently offline  kareno
Hi Andrew,
Yes, these printers often turn up for sale online. And the thermal paper rolls are still available too.

The teleprinter idea has a problem. The SiPix printer prints whole lines at a time. It's also somewhat slow!

I guess you could make it print individual characters by not issuing line feeds and over-printing the same line repeatedly but I think it'd probably be even slower than an ASR 33! Great as a listing printer though Smile
Re: Sipix pocket printer [message #7042 is a reply to message #7034] Wed, 05 February 2020 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scruss is currently offline  scruss

Neat!

I've used a bunch of the cheap import thermal receipt printers. Usually very simple TTL serial, and all use the same de facto subset of Epson's ESC-POS. Like most thermal printers they're line-oriented, so not so good for interactive use.

> Does anyone know what each of the pins on the 6502 CPU chip in the Apple II Plus does?
They all plug into the socket on the motherboard to keep the chip from drifting away. - c.s.a2 FAQ of yore
Re: Sipix pocket printer [message #7045 is a reply to message #7042] Thu, 06 February 2020 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1ackmai1er is currently offline  b1ackmai1er
Cool!
Re: Sipix pocket printer [message #8169 is a reply to message #7045] Fri, 01 January 2021 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garth is currently offline  Garth
I've used the tiny Weigh-Tronix dot-matrix impact ribbon printers. They seldom show up on eBay anymore, and when they do they've gotten pretty expensive, but they have standard parallel or RS-232 interfaces.
http://www.agscales.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/wp233.jpg
I also have a Star DP8340 which is somewhat larger, with paper 4½" wide. Both these printers have various modes like compressed, bold, etc..

http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources
Re: Sipix pocket printer [message #8181 is a reply to message #8169] Sun, 10 January 2021 09:29 Go to previous message
scruss is currently offline  scruss

Impact printers tend to be much more expensive, as they can work in demanding environments where thermal printers are useless. One day I'll snag a Shinshu Seiki EP-101 (the 1968 electronic printer that's the 'Ep' in Epson Wink ...

> Does anyone know what each of the pins on the 6502 CPU chip in the Apple II Plus does?
They all plug into the socket on the motherboard to keep the chip from drifting away. - c.s.a2 FAQ of yore

[Updated on: Sun, 10 January 2021 09:29]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Programmable Calculators?
Next Topic: ZRCC, Z80+RAM+CPLD+Compact Flash

Current Time: Wed May 01 14:55:00 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00759 seconds