RetroBrew Computers Forum
Discussion forum for the RetroBrew Computers community.

Home » RBC Forums » General Discussion » CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7266 is a reply to message #7265] Tue, 17 March 2020 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plasmo is currently offline  plasmo
Mike,
The RAM diagnostic is meant to run as a program under CB030bug monitor. The S record is loaded by the monitor at 0x3000 and auto-execute after the loading is completed. Since you are using the T030 bootloader and it appears to have a S record loader, it should be able to load the memory diagnostic. The memory diagnostic tests the entire memory except the program itself and the stack/global variable area. In T030 bootloader, the monitor/stack/global area are likely to be different. Let me take a look of the T030 bootloader, I should be able to re-assemble the memory diagnostic to fit it.
Bill
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7267 is a reply to message #7266] Tue, 17 March 2020 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikemac is currently offline  mikemac
Embarrassed Whoops! Embarrassed

I still have your CB030Bug ROM so I swapped it back in along with the 64MB SIMM. But I don't see a xmodem download command in CB030Bug. What's the procedure for downloading over the serial port?

I'm guessing this 64MB SIMM that's giving me problems isn't quite 60ns. It works some of the time but gets bit rot. I had put it in my old Macintosh Centris 610 just for kicks and it works fine there. At least as far as I can tell. Or it could be I wasn't exercising the SIMM to trip it up.

Mike
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7268 is a reply to message #7267] Tue, 17 March 2020 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike,
While at the CB030bug monitor prompt, just send the S record to CB030 as text file. In TeraTerm the command is File -> Send file...-> (pick dram64.txt in the drop down menu)
Bill
PS, do you have a slower oscillator? you can try the 64meg RAM again with slower clock.
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7269 is a reply to message #7268] Tue, 17 March 2020 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah! According to your RAM test, it's good:

?> g 3000                                                                      
64-meg of DRAM longword tested OK                                              
64-meg of DRAM byte tested OK                                                  
64-meg of DRAM longword tested OK                                              

With a 16MHz crystal, I still get flaky results when I read the CF into RAM:

T030 ROM BIOS v2.11 (c) 2018 Tobias Rathje                                      
CB030 version ported by Mike McDonald 2020                                      
------------------------------------------                                      

Build: Mar 16 2020 21:24:09                                                     

#> 1                                                                            
 [ Load Linux image into RAM ]                                                  

0%_________________________________________100%                                 
##f_read error: 2                                                               

114688 bytes read                                                               
 [ Stasting Linux ]                                                             

#>

If I put the 24MHz crystal and the 16MB SIMM back in, it's off to the races:

#> 1                                                                            

#################################################                               

2814824 bytes read                                                              
 [ Starting Linux ]                                                             

Bootinfo address: 0x002b1000                                                    

Machine type: 14                                                                
Memory start: 0x00000000                                                        
Memory size: 16 MB                                                              

Loading Linux at 0x00001000                                                     

ABC3GHIJK                                                                       
Linux version 4.9.156-CB030 (mikemac@Altair.mikemac.com) (gcc version 6.1.0 (GC0
bootconsole [cb030serial0] enabled                                              
Built 1 zonelists in Zone order, mobility grouping off.  Total pages: 4060      
Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda2 rw console=ttyS0,38400n8 earlyprintk=ttyS0,0
PID hash table entries: 64 (order: -4, 256 bytes)                               
Dentry cache hash table entries: 2048 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)                    
Inode-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)                     
Sorting __ex_table...                                                           
Memory: 13420K/16384K available (1861K kernel code, 272K rwdata, 544K rodata, 6)
Virtual kernel memory layout:                                                   
    vector  : 0x0028175c - 0x00281b5c   (   1 KiB)                              
    kmap    : 0xd0000000 - 0xf0000000   ( 512 MiB)                              
    vmalloc : 0x01800000 - 0xd0000000   (3304 MiB)                              
    lowmem  : 0x00000000 - 0x01000000   (  16 MiB)                              
      .init : 0x002a1000 - 0x002b1000   (  64 KiB)                              
      .text : 0x00001000 - 0x001d26d8   (1862 KiB)                              
      .data : 0x001d4b20 - 0x002a0bb0   ( 817 KiB)                              
      .bss  : 0x00281680 - 0x002a0bb0   ( 126 KiB)                              
NR_IRQS:200                                                                     
prandom: fast init done                                                         
random: crng init done  

It's pretty repeatable. I haven't had a load error from the CF if I have the 16MB SIMM in place. The 64MB almost always fails to load the whole 2.8MB Linux kernel image.

Too much current load? Voltage spike? Wrong kind of magic pixie dust? I don't have a clue. So I'll stick to the 16MB SIMM for now.

Mike
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7270 is a reply to message #7269] Tue, 17 March 2020 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike,
Low voltage is a possibility. The memory diagnostic turns on the instruction cache and runs the diagnostic with lower power consumption than normal. What kinda supply are you using? What's the voltage reading when Linux application is running?

The 16meg memory space is repeated 4 times in the 64 meg space; I'm struggling to come up with a situation where program would run in 16 meg but not 64 meg.

Have you updated the CPLD? The new CPLD equations improves the CF interface significantly.

I would like to try your software on my 64meg setup and see if I encountered the same problem.
Bill

PS, exciting work you are doing!
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7272 is a reply to message #7270] Tue, 17 March 2020 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plasmo wrote on Tue, 17 March 2020 09:55
Mike,
Low voltage is a possibility. The memory diagnostic turns on the instruction cache and runs the diagnostic with lower power consumption than normal. What kinda supply are you using? What's the voltage reading when Linux application is running?

The 16meg memory space is repeated 4 times in the 64 meg space; I'm struggling to come up with a situation where program would run in 16 meg but not 64 meg.

Have you updated the CPLD? The new CPLD equations improves the CF interface significantly.

I would like to try your software on my 64meg setup and see if I encountered the same problem.
Bill

PS, exciting work you are doing!
Should I wait for four complete iterations of the dram64 test to complete? Since it's appeared to rerun the long word test, I thought it was done and stopped it.

I haven't updated the CPLD yet. I'm trying to break only one thing at a time! Smile I'll move it up on my To-Do list.

I'm using a 5V 1A wall wart that came with my BeagleBone. It has the right size barrel connector on it. Smile I think I have a 2A one around but it'll need an adapter cable to fit the fat plug on the CB030.

It is exciting when things progress. When weird things happen, I lose even more of my thinning hair! Smile

Mike
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7277 is a reply to message #7272] Tue, 17 March 2020 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've tried two different 5V2A wall warts and they both continue to have issues using the 64MB SIMM.

Could it be a DRAM refresh issue?

I'm wondering because I keep seeing things like this:

#> 1                                                                            

###################f_read error: 9                                              

1093632 bytes read                                                              
f_close error: 9                                                                
 [ Sparting Linux ]                                                             

"Sparting Linux"?? That's a 't' (0x74) changing into to a 'p' (0x70). That's a single bit flipping.

Mike
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7278 is a reply to message #7277] Tue, 17 March 2020 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikesmith is currently offline  mikesmith
mikemac wrote on Tue, 17 March 2020 15:13
"Sparting Linux"?? That's a 't' (0x74) changing into to a 'p' (0x70). That's a single bit flipping.
Is it always a 1 becoming a 0?

FWIW, it's pretty unlikely to be refresh. DRAM retention at room temperature is waaaay longer than you might think. Nominal refresh timing is spec'ed at TJmax for worst-corner parts, which is orders of magnitude worse than a nominal part at room temperature.

If you're really concerned, hit the stick with a good blast of freeze spray (air duster can inverted will do the trick) and see if it changes anything. Colder -> slower leakage.

= Mike

Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7279 is a reply to message #7278] Tue, 17 March 2020 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikesmith wrote on Tue, 17 March 2020 15:41
mikemac wrote on Tue, 17 March 2020 15:13
Is it always a 1 becoming a 0?

FWIW, it's pretty unlikely to be refresh. DRAM retention at room temperature is waaaay longer than you might think. Nominal refresh timing is spec'ed at TJmax for worst-corner parts, which is orders of magnitude worse than a nominal part at room temperature.

If you're really concerned, hit the stick with a good blast of freeze spray (air duster can inverted will do the trick) and see if it changes anything. Colder -> slower leakage.

= Mike

Hard to tell if it's always as most of the time it's not printed text strings that are corrupted. But of the ones I've detected, it appears to be 1's getting flipped to 0's. Here's another example:

2814824 bytes read                                                              
 [ Stabting Linux ]                                                             

That's a 'r' 0x72 getting changed to a 'b' 0x62.

Oh! And I've updated to the latest version of the CPLD FW.

Mike
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7283 is a reply to message #7279] Tue, 17 March 2020 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike,
At 24MHz clock, the refresh rate for 64meg DRAM is 43mS. Most 64meg DRAM needs a 64mS refresh rate although some parts may need faster refresh rate, but like Mike Smith said, the refresh rate is extremely conservative; it is only an issue in extreme process/voltage/temperature corner. You should not have refresh issue in room temperature.

Do run the memory test multiple iterations. Each iteration uses a different seed values so each iteration tests different population of memory cells.

Perhaps we can swap 64meg; I can ship you a 64 meg SIMM that I believe is working and you can ship your questionable 64meg SIMM to me. I'll PM you my address

Bill

PS, with updated CPLD are you able to run Transcend CF disk and other disk you had problems with?
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7335 is a reply to message #7283] Fri, 27 March 2020 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks to Plasmo and Tobster for their help and their willingness to listen to my ramblings:

RAM (hard coded): 64MB                                                          
Build: Mar 26 2020 21:33:30                                                     

#> hr initrd.gz 0x400000                                                        
##############################################                                  

1135583 bytes read                                                              

#> hr linux.bin 0x1000                                                          
#################################################                               

2814920 bytes read                                                              

#> l "root=/dev/ram0 rw console=ttySC0,38400n8r" 0x400000 140000                

Bootinfo address: 0x002b1000                                                    

Ramdisk start: 0x00400000                                                       
Ramdisk size: 1310720                                                           

Memory size: 64 MB                                                              

ABC3GHIJK                                                                       
Linux version 4.9.156-CB030 (mikemac@Altair.mikemac.com) (gcc version 6.1.0 (GCC
) ) #152 Fri Mar 27 11:40:03 MST 2020                                           
initrd: 00400000 - 00540000                                                     
Built 1 zonelists in Zone order, mobility grouping on.  Total pages: 16240      
Kernel command line: root=/dev/ram0 rw console=ttySC0,38400n8r                  
PID hash table entries: 256 (order: -2, 1024 bytes)                             
Dentry cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)                   
Inode-cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)                    
Sorting __ex_table...                                                           
Memory: 60824K/65536K available (1863K kernel code, 270K rwdata, 544K rodata, 64
K init, 125K bss, 4712K reserved, 0K cma-reserved)                              
    vector  : 0x0028175c - 0x00281b5c   (   1 KiB)                              
    vmalloc : 0x04800000 - 0xd0000000   (3256 MiB)                              
    lowmem  : 0x00000000 - 0x04000000   (  64 MiB)                              
      .init : 0x002a1000 - 0x002b1000   (  64 KiB)                              
      .text : 0x00001000 - 0x001d2c30   (1864 KiB)                              
      .data : 0x001d5070 - 0x002a0bf0   ( 815 KiB)                              
      .bss  : 0x00281680 - 0x002a0bf0   ( 126 KiB)                              
pcb030_sched_init(0x00004b84)                                                   
Console: colour dummy device 80x25                                              
Calibrating delay loop... 5.35 BogoMIPS (lpj=26752)                             
pid_max: default: 32768 minimum: 301                                            
Mount-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)                     
Mountpoint-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)                
devtmpfs: initialized                                                           
clocksource: jiffies: mask: 0xffffffff max_cycles: 0xffffffff, max_idle_ns: 1911
2604462750000 ns                                                                
futex hash table entries: 256 (order: -1, 3072 bytes)                           
FS-Cache: Loaded                                                                
Trying to unpack rootfs image as initramfs...                                   
rootfs image is not initramfs (no cpio magic); looks like an initrd             
random: fast init done                                                          
Freeing initrd memory: 1280K                                                    
workingset: timestamp_bits=27 max_order=14 bucket_order=0                       
io scheduler noop registered (default)                                          
uart-sccnxp sc68681.0: Using default clock frequency                            
sc68681.0: ttySC0 at MMIO 0xfffff000 (irq = 8, base_baud = 230400) is a SC68681 
console [ttySC0] enabled                                                        
console [ttySC0] enabled                                                        
bootconsole [cb030serial0] disabled                                             
sc68681.0: ttySC1 at MMIO 0xfffff000 (irq = 8, base_baud = 230400) is a SC68681 
mc68681_irq_unmask(8)                                                           
uart-sccnxp sc68681.0: IRQ 8 registered. ret = 0                                
brd: module loaded                                                              
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver                                             
ide-gd driver 1.18                                                              
RAMDISK: gzip image found at block 0                                            
EXT4-fs (ram0): couldn't mount as ext3 due to feature incompatibilities         
EXT4-fs (ram0): mounting ext2 file system using the ext4 subsystem              
EXT4-fs (ram0): mounted filesystem without journal. Opts: (null)                
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) on device 1:0.                              
devtmpfs: mounted                                                               
Freeing unused kernel memory: 64K                                               
This architecture does not have kernel memory protection.                       
Trying /sbin/init                                                               

*************************                                                       
* CB030 SBC              *                                                      

Linux CB030 4.9.156-CB030 #152 Fri Mar 27 11:40:03 MST 2020 m68k GNU/Linux      

Model:          CB030                                                           
System Memory:  65536K                                                          

Please press Enter to activate this console.                                    
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off                               
~ # ls                                                                          
ls                                                                              
bin         dev         lost+found  proc        sbin                            
boot        etc         mnt         run         sys                             
~ # random: crng init done                                                      
ls /proc                                                                        
ls /proc                                                                        
1             34            buddyinfo     hardware      kpageflags    stat      
10            35            bus           ide           loadavg       swaps     
11            36            cmdline       interrupts    locks         sys       
12            4             consoles      iomem         meminfo       sysvipc   
13            45            cpuinfo       ioports       misc          thread-sel
f                                                                               
14            5             crypto        irq           modules       timer_list
15            6             devices       kallsyms      mounts        tty       
2             7             diskstats     kcore         pagetypeinfo  uptime    
3             8             driver        key-users     partitions    version   
31            85            execdomains   keys          self          vmallocinf
o                                                                               
32            86            filesystems   kmsg          slabinfo      vmstat    
33            9             fs            kpagecount    softirqs      zoneinfo  
~ # cat /proc/hardware                                                          
cat /proc/hardware                                                              
~ # uname -a                                                                    
uname -a                                                                        
Linux CB030 4.9.156-CB030 #152 Fri Mar 27 11:40:03 MST 2020 m68k GNU/Linux      
~ # 

The CF driver will require a hardware modification to enable the CF IRQ. The Linux ATA driver requires a working IDE interrupt during the drive setup.

Mike
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7337 is a reply to message #7335] Fri, 27 March 2020 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tingo is currently offline  tingo
Oh... nice, very nice!

Torfinn
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7341 is a reply to message #7337] Sat, 28 March 2020 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
etchedpixels is currently offline  etchedpixels
Ah you are using the legacy IDE code. Be warned that will go away at some point. You should be using drivers/ata not drivers/ide.

Take a look at drivers/ata/pata_platform.c
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7346 is a reply to message #7341] Sat, 28 March 2020 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
etchedpixels wrote on Sat, 28 March 2020 08:33
Ah you are using the legacy IDE code. Be warned that will go away at some point. You should be using drivers/ata not drivers/ide.

Take a look at drivers/ata/pata_platform.c
Thanks for the pointer. I was basing the CB030 CF support on what the T030 and KISS-030 boards used for their HD support. I'm not overly concerned at this point that IDE may someday go away. I'm more concerned about the lack of an IRQ (which pata_platform claims to handle) and the 8 bit data path of the CB030 CF interface. I haven't seen anything suggesting Linux supports 8 bit only devices. Everything has been choosing between 16 and 32 bits.

Mike
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7349 is a reply to message #7346] Sat, 28 March 2020 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, libata doesn't have any 8bit xfer routines. But pata_pcmcia does! And pata_platform is based upon pata_pcmcia! So I made a copy of pata_platform and added the 8bit xfer stuff from pata_pcmcia. And my new pata_cb030 driver can read the IDENTIFY results! Yipppee!

Except:
ata1.00: CFA: TS4GCF133, 20110407, max UDMA/66                                  
ata1.00: 7831152 sectors, multi 0: LBA                                          
ata1.00: Drive reports diagnostics failure. This may indicate a drive           
ata1.00: fault or invalid emulation. Contact drive vendor for information.      

So libata-sff marks the interface as having no drive connected. Sad

Since only the IDENTIFY (0xec) command has been sent so far, there must be some bit in the returned info that libata-sff doesn't like.

So more digging. Unless someone knows a trick or two for fooling the Linux ATA subsystem into thinking the drive is real and working.

Mike
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7350 is a reply to message #7349] Sat, 28 March 2020 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Uh, it helps if you remember to include SCSI disk support! Duh!

ide-gd driver 1.18                                                              
pata_cb030 pata_cb030: pata_cb030_probe 0                                       
scsi host0: pata_cb030                                                          
ata1: PATA max PIO0 no IRQ, using PIO polling mmio cmd 0xffffe000 ctl 0xffffe00e
ata1.00: CFA: TS4GCF133, 20110407, max UDMA/66                                  
ata1.00: 7831152 sectors, multi 0: LBA                                          
ata1.00: configured for PIO                                                     
scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     ATA      TS4GCF133        0407 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5    
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 7831152 512-byte logical blocks: (4.01 GB/3.73 GiB)           
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off                                          
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DP
O or FUA                                                                        
 sda: sda1 sda2 sda3                                                            
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk                                  
Freeing unused kernel memory: 72K                                               

* CB030 SBC             *                                                       

Linux CB030 4.9.156-CB030 #181 Sat Mar 28 18:26:28 MST 2020 m68k GNU/Linux      

CB030 login: root                                                               
********************************************                                    
* CB030 SBC                                *                                    
*   by Plasmo (Bill Shen)                  *                                    
* T030 Boot loader                         *                                    
*   by Tobster (Tobias Rathje) 2016        *                                    
* CB030 Boot loader                        *                                    
*   ported by mikemac (Mike McDonald) 2020 *                                    

login[52]: root login on 'ttySC0'                                               
~ # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/tmp                                                    
~ # ls /mnt                                                                     
0.cmd      1.cmd      2.cmd      initrd.gz  linux.bin                           
~ # umount /mnt                                                                     
~ # mount /dev/sda3 /mnt                                                        
EXT4-fs (sda3): couldn't mount as ext3 due to feature incompatibilities         
EXT4-fs (sda3): couldn't mount as ext2 due to feature incompatibilities         
EXT4-fs (sda3): Filesystem with huge files cannot be mounted RDWR without CONFIG
_LBDAF                                                                          
mount: mounting /dev/sda3 on /mnt failed: Invalid argument                      
~ # 

Guess it doesn't like my 3+GB main partition (sda3). But it reads the boot partition (sda1)!!!!

Mike
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7351 is a reply to message #7350] Sat, 28 March 2020 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow! I was going to say something about PIO mode and set FEATURE command, but never mind!
Bill
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7353 is a reply to message #7351] Sat, 28 March 2020 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And if you track down the suggested option:

CB030 login: root                                                               
*   by Plasmo (Bill Shen)                  *                                    

login[52]: root login on 'ttySC0'                                               
~ # mount /dev/sda3 /mnt                                                        
EXT4-fs (sda3): couldn't mount as ext3 due to feature incompatibilities         
EXT4-fs (sda3): couldn't mount as ext2 due to feature incompatibilities         
EXT4-fs (sda3): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)         
~ # df                                                                          
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on              
/dev/root                 2456      1599       732  69% /                       
devtmpfs                 30272         0     30272   0% /dev                    
/dev/sda3              3697868    346936   3143376  10% /mnt                    
~ # random: crng init done                                                    

~ # ls /mnt                                                                     
bin         etc         lost+found  opt         run         sys         var     
boot        home        media       proc        sbin        tmp                 
dev         lib         mnt         root        srv         usr                 
~ # ls /mnt/etc                                                                 
adduser.conf               insserv.conf               rc0.d                     
alternatives               insserv.conf.d             rc1.d                     
apt                        iproute2                   rc2.d                     
bash.bashrc                issue                      rc3.d                     
bash_completion.d          issue.net                  rc4.d                     
bindresvport.blacklist     jupp                       rc5.d                     
calendar                   kernel                     rc6.d                     
cron.d                     ld.so.cache                rcS.d                     
cron.daily                 ld.so.conf                 resolv.conf               
cron.hourly                ld.so.conf.d               rmt                       
cron.monthly               libaudit.conf              rpc                       
cron.weekly                localtime                  screenrc                  
crontab                    login.defs                 securetty                 
debconf.conf               logrotate.conf             security                  
debian_version             logrotate.d                selinux                   
default                    mc                         services                  
deluser.conf               mke2fs.conf                shadow                    
dhcp                       mkshrc                     shells                    
dpkg                       modprobe.d                 skel                      
environment                modules                    ssh                       
fstab                      motd                       ssl                       
gai.conf                   motd.tail                  staff-group-for-usr-local 
group                      network                    subgid                    
gshadow                    networks                   subuid                    
gss                        newt                       sysctl.conf               
host.conf                  nologin                    sysctl.d                  
hostname                   nsswitch.conf              syslog.conf               
hosts                      opt                        syslog.d                  
hosts.allow                os-release                 systemd                   
hosts.deny                 pam.conf                   terminfo                  
inetd.conf                 pam.d                      timezone                  
init                       passwd                     tmpfiles.d                
init.d                     perl                       ucf.conf                  
initramfs-tools            profile                    udev                      
inittab                    profile.d                  wgetrc                    
inputrc                    protocols                                            
insserv                    rc.local                                             
~ # 

And Plasmo, that's without any hardware modifications! Just 'cb030_r1_release_cf_fix_new100hz_irq' for the CPLD!

Mike
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7354 is a reply to message #7353] Sat, 28 March 2020 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very very wow!

I'm looking at the design and believe I can wire in 8 wires from high byte of the IDE interface to corresponding data lines on 68030 and get it to work in 16-bit mode. I can also enable the CF interrupt. I thought I'll modify one CB030 to the 16-bit mode with interrupt and sent it to you to try out. If the improvement is worth it, I can upgrade the CB030 design and figure out how to deal with 16-bit CF interface issues.

I assume you are using your own (Transcend?Wink 4G CF disk. So it must be working pretty reliably?

Bill
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7355 is a reply to message #7354] Sat, 28 March 2020 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plasmo wrote on Sat, 28 March 2020 19:26
Very very wow!

I'm looking at the design and believe I can wire in 8 wires from high byte of the IDE interface to corresponding data lines on 68030 and get it to work in 16-bit mode. I can also enable the CF interrupt. I thought I'll modify one CB030 to the 16-bit mode with interrupt and sent it to you to try out. If the improvement is worth it, I can upgrade the CB030 design and figure out how to deal with 16-bit CF interface issues.

I assume you are using your own (Transcend?Wink 4G CF disk. So it must be working pretty reliably?

Bill

I put some Amiga Linux file system image (Ara2015A.tar.gz) on the Transcend so I'd have something to start with. I thought it was supposed to be a Debian based m68k fs but there's some references to openbsd in the init files so I'm not sure. It sure is trying to start up a bunch of stuff a poor little 030 system really doesn't need. Like I had to add networking support to the kernel so that udev would crash the system! Yuck! Smile

Anyway, a 16bit CF interface would double the speed of disk IO! And as slow as 8bit PIO is, we can use every bit of speed we can reasonably get. I'd love to try a 16bit CF interface if you can come up with one.

So far, the only difference between supporting an 8bit interface and a 16bit interface is whether your read/write bytes or shorts to the DATA register. And don't enable 8 bit mode in the init code! But then I'm doing block reads/writes all of the time. If CPM does something other than 512 byte accesses, then you might have a bit more work. But as long as it's not doing odd length accesses, it shouldn't be too much work. Says the guy who knows NOTHING about CPM!! But if you add the extra data lines but don't change your code, 8bit mode should still work for you.

Anyway, this fs image bites:
VFS: Mounted root (ext4 filesystem) on device 8:3.                              
Freeing unused kernel memory: 80K                                               
Mount failed for selinuxfs on /sys/fs/selinux:  No such file or directory       
INIT: version 2.88 booting                                                      
random: crng init done                                                          
[....] Setting hostname to 'CB030.retrobrewcomputers.org'...done.               
[....] Files under mount point '/run' will be hidden. ... (warning).            
[....] Starting the hotplug events dispatcher: udevdsystemd-udevd[166]: starting version 215                                                                    
. ok                                                                            
[....] Synthesizing the initial hotplug events...done.                          
[....] Waiting for /dev to be fully populated...done.                           
[....] Activating swap:swapon /dev/sda2                                         
swapon: /dev/sda2: found swap signature: version 1d, page-size 4, different byte
 order                                                                          
swapon: /dev/sda2: pagesize=4096, swapsize=74027008, devsize=74027520           
Adding 72288k swap on /dev/sda2.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:72288k           
. ok                                                                            
EXT4-fs (sda3): re-mounted. Opts: (null)                                        
[....] Will now check root file system:fsck from util-linux 2.25.2              
[/sbin/fsck.ext4 (1) -- /] fsck.ext4 -y -C0 /dev/sda3                           
e2fsck 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)                                                    
root: clean, 18760/239040 files, 118138/955867 blocks                           
. ok                                                                            
EXT4-fs (sda3): re-mounted. Opts: (null)                                        
[....] Will now activate lvm and md swap:done.                                  
[info] Will now check all file systems.                                         
fsck from util-linux 2.25.2                                                     
Checking all file systems.                                                      
[....] Done checking file systems. A log is being saved in /var/log/fsck/checkfs if that location is writable.. ok                                              
[....] Cleaning up temporary files...find: cannot search `.': Inappropriate ioctl for device                                                                    
Data write fault at 0xc018fffc in Super Data (pc=0x4000)                        
BAD KERNEL BUSERR                                                               
Oops: 00000000                                                                  

I don't know what device the 'inappropriate' IOCTL is being sent to. ???

And swapping to the CF probably isn't a good idea either. Smile

Mike
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7356 is a reply to message #7355] Sat, 28 March 2020 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I'll work on a 16-bit CF interface with interrupt capability.

CP/M BIOS needs to change to work with 16-bit interface, but that's very simple to do and have been done before.

I don't understand this line at the end: Data write fault at 0xc018fffc in Super Data (pc=0x4000) There isn't anything at 0xc018fffc.

Bill
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7358 is a reply to message #7356] Sat, 28 March 2020 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plasmo wrote on Sat, 28 March 2020 20:47

I don't understand this line at the end: Data write fault at 0xc018fffc in Super Data (pc=0x4000) There isn't anything at 0xc018fffc.

Bill
That's the kernel starting a Oops as a result of the 'inappropriate' IOCTL on some critical device. There is actually a long dump trace in the output after that point. I just cut it off for simplicity. I haven't tried analyzing the back trace yet to see if I can figure out the root cause. It's already been a long day and I need to save something for tomorrow! Smile

Mike
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7402 is a reply to message #7358] Thu, 02 April 2020 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I've created a builder's page to hold all of the CB030 Linux stuff and I've uploaded the initial release: https:// www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku.php?id=builderpages:mikemac: cb030

Mike
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7408 is a reply to message #7402] Thu, 02 April 2020 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike,
Wow! Most excellent!!

However, since I'm not a Linux user, I'll need more help...

My setup is CB030 with 64 meg DRAM, I have the new100Hz interrupt CPLD. My CF disk is a 2G Verbatim. I burn a EPROM with EPROM binary from CB030bios-64.bin.zip. It boots and here is the dialog:

Build: Mar 30 2020 10:09:47

#> ?
?  - Help
a  - Load and execute EhBasic
b  - Toggle heartbeat LED: b <val>
c  - Modify cache register: c <val>
C  - Checksum RAM: C <addr>
d  - Dump address: d <addr>
e  - Force exception: e <num>
h  - Perform hardisk command - h? for help
i  - Set interrupt level: i <level>
g  - Run: g <addr>
l  - Load linux: l <cmdline> <ramdisk start addr> <ramdisk size>
m  - Mandelbrot test: m <count>
q  - Perform RAM check: q <mode> <address> <size> <count>
r  - Dump registers
v  - Load and execute Test BIOS from SD card
u  - Run in user mode: u <addr>
w  - Write single byte: w <addr> <data>
x  - Transfer file with XMODEM: x <addr>
z  - Soft reset
<#> - Run script "#"

#> hl

Volume label:

0 File(s),         0 bytes total
   0 Dir(s),    1949472KiB free

#>

So it can read the CF disk. Now I assume the disk needs to be formatted as FAT partition and files 0.cmd, initrd.gz, and linux.bin copied into the partition? Do I need to do that with a Linux system? What command I should issue at the #> prompt to boot up Linux?
Bill

PS, In case I haven't said "Wow!", here it is: WOW!!!
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7409 is a reply to message #7408] Thu, 02 April 2020 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike,
Never mind! I format the 2G CF disk in Windows as FAT32, copied 0.cmd, initrd.gz, and linux.bin. Power it up and this is what I got:

I think I need to partition the CF disk so I have a FAT32 partition and other partitions you've described.
Bill

Build: Mar 30 2020 10:09:47

Init script found, press enter to abort..........

Running init script:

[ Load initrd.gz into RAM ]

##############################################

1132600 bytes read
 [ Load linux.bin into RAM ]

###############################################

3124952 bytes read
 [ Starting Linux ]

Bootinfo address: 0x002fc000

Memory size: 64 MB

Ramdisk start: 0x00400000
Ramdisk size: 1310720

ABC3GHIJK
Linux version 4.9.156-CB030 (mikemac@Altair.mikemac.com) (gcc version 6.1.0 (GCC) ) #190 Sun Mar 29 22:53:56 MST 2020
initrd: 00400000 - 00540000
Built 1 zonelists in Zone order, mobility grouping on.  Total pages: 16240
Kernel command line: root=/dev/ram0 rw console=ttySC0,38400n8r
PID hash table entries: 256 (order: -2, 1024 bytes)
Dentry cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
Sorting __ex_table...
Memory: 60524K/65536K available (2075K kernel code, 286K rwdata, 608K rodata, 72K init, 130K bss, 5012K reserved, 0K cma-reserved)
    vector  : 0x002c96fc - 0x002c9afc   (   1 KiB)
    vmalloc : 0x04800000 - 0xd0000000   (3256 MiB)
    lowmem  : 0x00000000 - 0x04000000   (  64 MiB)
      .init : 0x002ea000 - 0x002fc000   (  72 KiB)
      .text : 0x00001000 - 0x00207fdc   (2076 KiB)
      .data : 0x0020a500 - 0x002e9e84   ( 895 KiB)
      .bss  : 0x002c9620 - 0x002e9e84   ( 131 KiB)
pConsole: colour dummy device 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 5.35 BogoMIPS (lpj=26752)
pid_max: default: 32768 minimum: 301
Mount-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
Mountpoint-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
devtmpfs: initialized
clocksource: jiffies: mask: 0xffffffff max_cycles: 0xffffffff, max_idle_ns: 19112604462750000 ns
futex hash table entries: 256 (order: -1, 3072 bytes)
SCSI subsystem initialized
FS-Cache: Loaded
random: fast init done
Trying to unpack rootfs image as initramfs...
rootfs image is not initramfs (no cpio magic); looks like an initrd
Freeing initrd memory: 1280K
workingset: timestamp_bits=27 max_order=14 bucket_order=0
io scheduler noop registered (default)
uart-sccnxp sc68681.0: Using default clock frequency
sc68681.0: ttySC0 at MMIO 0xfffff000 (irq = 8, base_baud = 230400) is a SC68681
console [ttySC0] enabled
console [ttySC0] enabled
sc68681.0: ttySC1 at MMIO 0xfffff000 (irq = 8, base_baud = 230400) is a SC68681
brd: module loaded
ide-gd driver 1.18
pata_cb030 pata_cb030: pata_cb030_probe 0
scsi host0: pata_cb030
ata1: PATA max PIO0 no IRQ, using PIO polling mmio cmd 0xffffe000 ctl 0xffffe00e
ata1.00: CFA: CF Card, Ver6.05, max UDMA/133
ata1.00: 3902976 sectors, multi 1: LBA48
ata1.00: Drive reports diagnostics failure. This may indicate a drive
ata1.00: fault or invalid emulation. Contact drive vendor for information.
ata1.00: configured for PIO
scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     ATA      CF Card          .05  PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 3902976 512-byte logical blocks: (2.00 GB/1.86 GiB)
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
 sda: sda1
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
Freeing unused kernel memory: 72K

*   by Plasmo (Bill Shen) 2020             *

Linux CB030 4.9.156-CB030 #190 Sun Mar 29 22:53:56 MST 2020 m68k GNU/Linux

CB030 login:
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7410 is a reply to message #7409] Thu, 02 April 2020 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike,
Psst! What's the login and password?
Bill
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7411 is a reply to message #7409] Thu, 02 April 2020 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Congrats!

By default, the boot loader will run the "0.cmd" script off the first partition if one exists. You can hit Enter to opt out and get the the boot loader prompt.

The only account in the initrd is "root". So type "root" [without quotes!] at the login prompt and you should get a shell where you can do a lot of normal Linux stuff. [Exercise left to the reader!Wink Smile ]

Mike

[Updated on: Thu, 02 April 2020 19:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7412 is a reply to message #7411] Thu, 02 April 2020 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Love it! Surprisingly responsive. vi works just as I've remembered...
Bill
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7461 is a reply to message #7412] Wed, 08 April 2020 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quarterturn is currently offline  quarterturn
Does Linux run on the rev1 board or does it require a hardware bodge for 16-bit PCMCIA CF card access?
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7462 is a reply to message #7461] Wed, 08 April 2020 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Linux runs fine on rev1 pc board and does not require 16-bit CF interface. It does require a new boot loader. Do you have an EPROM programmer?
Bill
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7463 is a reply to message #7462] Wed, 08 April 2020 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great! I don't have an EEPROM programmer for the AT49 but I'm looking around if there's a way to build one using an Arduino or Raspberry Pi (since I do have those on-hand).

I also dug though my stuff and couldn't find my DIMM stash - I think I sold it at a Hamfest last year. Guess I'm off to ebay for a 64 MB RAM DIMM.
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7464 is a reply to message #7463] Wed, 08 April 2020 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quarterturn wrote on Wed, 08 April 2020 11:43
Great! I don't have an EEPROM programmer for the AT49 but I'm looking around if there's a way to build one using an Arduino or Raspberry Pi (since I do have those on-hand).

I also dug though my stuff and couldn't find my DIMM stash - I think I sold it at a Hamfest last year. Guess I'm off to ebay for a 64 MB RAM DIMM.

I never figured out how to reprogram Plasmo's little flash board either. My programmer knows about a AT49F040 but insists it shoudl be in the PLCC adapter, not the DIP board. If I tell it to go ahead anyway, it claims to erase, blank verify, program, and verify successfully but the flash wouldn't work in the board anymore. So I don't know if I fried them or what. The fact that the programmer claims it verified things confuses me!

Luckily I had a couple of SST39SF040s on hand and they worked like a charm!

When ordering your SIMMs off of Ebay, make sure you buy 5V ones and then double check them when they arrive. My first one turned out to be a 3V 72 pin SIMM and it doesn't work in the CB030. Luckily the supplier sent me the correct one without delay.

Mike
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7465 is a reply to message #7462] Wed, 08 April 2020 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norwestrzh is currently offline  norwestrzh
Hi Bill,

You spoke (a while ago) about making a 68030 partially assembled "kit" for sale. Is that still in the works? Are they available? I'm anxious to try out Linux on a 68030. *grin*

Roger

Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7466 is a reply to message #7465] Wed, 08 April 2020 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norwestrzh wrote on Wed, 08 April 2020 13:05
Hi Bill,

You spoke (a while ago) about making a 68030 partially assembled "kit" for sale. Is that still in the works? Are they available? I'm anxious to try out Linux on a 68030. *grin*

Roger

Roger,
The rev 1 board appears to work well. I currently have 6 boards available, I'm going to order more this week. The partially assembled board is available to USA buyer for $15 plus $5 shipping. You can see a picture of it in this assembly guide I'm currently working on:
https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku.php?id=builderpages: plasmo:cb030:cb030_rev1:pictorial_guide

The reason I'm only offer it to USA buyers right now is because I want to help fixing unexpected problems so if a buyer has problems that can't be fixed over email, he can ship it back at his expense; I'll fix it for free and return it back to the buyer at my expense. This process is too expensive for international buyers.

I also offer assembled and tested CB030 for $75 plus shipping. The unit will have 16meg DRAM, 256meg CF disk and an USB-to-serial adapter.

When the design is more mature and I have more boards and parts, I'll list CB030 partially assembled board and fully assembled/tested board under Single Board Computers of RetroBrew Computers Wiki page.

Bill
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7467 is a reply to message #7464] Wed, 08 April 2020 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikemac wrote on Wed, 08 April 2020 13:02

I never figured out how to reprogram Plasmo's little flash board either. My programmer knows about a AT49F040 but insists it shoudl be in the PLCC adapter, not the DIP board. If I tell it to go ahead anyway, it claims to erase, blank verify, program, and verify successfully but the flash wouldn't work in the board anymore. So I don't know if I fried them or what. The fact that the programmer claims it verified things confuses me!
Mike,
That flash board adapter is a kludge. I'm able to program it on TL866II either as DIP or PLCC. I have purchased a batch of SST39SF040 so that's what I'll be using from now on.
Bill
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7468 is a reply to message #7467] Wed, 08 April 2020 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike,
This is CB030 modified to have 16-bit CF interface. I updated CP/M68K to handle the 16-bit interface and it appears to work well. I also hook up the CF interrupt line, but have not test it right now. I can ship it to you if you like to try Linux on it.
Bill
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7469 is a reply to message #7468] Wed, 08 April 2020 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the photos! I'll give it a try on my board.
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7475 is a reply to message #7466] Thu, 09 April 2020 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norwestrzh is currently offline  norwestrzh
Hi Bill,

I'm wondering about sources for the DRAM and the 68030 socket? Do you have extras? If you supply them, how much would it add to the cost?

Roger
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7476 is a reply to message #7475] Thu, 09 April 2020 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bodge-wired mine for 16-bits CF but it's prone to crashing. Maybe half the time it'll make it through a run of 'asciiart'. Maybe it doesn't like the unequal wire lengths. I've tried lifting up the wires to get them away from the rest of the traces on the board, but it doesn't change it much. Unfortunately I'm out of wire-wrap wire, and stripping the enameled wire is a pain.

https://i.imgur.com/4XnnkuM.jpg
Re: CB030, A 68030 SBC for hobbyists [message #7479 is a reply to message #7476] Thu, 09 April 2020 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bodge-wire update:
After removing all the wires, it still crashed!
I tried a different power supply, and sure enough it was back to solid. I reinstalled all the bodge wires and it's still solid. Hmm!

I've never looked at it with a scope, but I guess my desktop UPS USB power jacks put out really crappy power. Currently running it with a $14 walmart 2.4A output 10Ah USB battery pack. I wouldn't have expected it, but that cheap thing is fine.

Currently building this: http://danceswithferrets.org/geekblog/?p=496 so I can program EEPROMs.
Previous Topic: ZRC, A Z80 SBC for ROMWBW
Next Topic: Neat '040 boot ROM setup

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 10:50:20 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00944 seconds