RetroBrew Computers Forum
Discussion forum for the RetroBrew Computers community.

Home » RBC Forums » General Discussion » 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 (3d case)
3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5914] Sat, 02 February 2019 13:33 Go to next message
djmartins is currently offline  djmartins
I have posted a case for the MiniMax 8085 on thingiverse for people to use.
If there is a need I can print some at reasonable prices for people.

Here is where you can see it:
www.thingiverse.com/thing:3399973

quick print to test so the front cover is a bit thin on the surface, thought
and changes open to discussion.

Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5917 is a reply to message #5914] Sun, 03 February 2019 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gkaufman is currently offline  gkaufman
Nicely done, printing now...

Any thoughts of adding small holes for the LED or Reset switches?

- Gary
Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5918 is a reply to message #5917] Sun, 03 February 2019 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wellllllll

I have the parts for the reset switch and power LED on order.
So NOW I am thinking of doing that and that will eliminate the text on the front.
Might also model a simple block to form the leads so you can use a regular 3 or 5 mm LED...

Laughing

[Updated on: Sun, 03 February 2019 12:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5919 is a reply to message #5918] Sun, 03 February 2019 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have the top and bottom printed, and they look very nice.

You could put the text on the back panel.

Also the screw posts for mounting the board - the holes are a bit too large for a 4-40 to grab, but a 6-32 won't go thru the PC board easily. Might pay to make the holes a tiny bit smaller in the posts.

Thanks for making this available!

- Gary
Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5920 is a reply to message #5919] Sun, 03 February 2019 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The PCB mounting holes are for M3 screws.
If you really need 4-40 I can add another bottom with that but
these days, in spite of hating metric, I have been forced to use a lot of M3 fasteners.
I can move the text to the back.

Give me a few hours and I can post updates to the enclosure.
Modeling parts right now. updated bottom part for 4-40 and 3mm board screws.
Test printing front again.
Forgive me, the box I am using is in OpenSCAD and I am a long term Pro/E user.

[Updated on: Sun, 03 February 2019 14:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5921 is a reply to message #5920] Sun, 03 February 2019 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didn't think about trying metric, I do have some M3's.

If you're picky, looks like the power and and serial ports are slightly off (a bit too much to the left edge) but otherwise the case is really nicely done.

Ironically there is enough flex in the front panel to trigger the reset switch nicely.

- Gary

djmartins wrote on Sun, 03 February 2019 13:29
The PCB mounting holes are for M3 screws.
If you really need 4-40 I can add another bottom with that but
these days, in spite of hating metric, I have been forced to use a lot of M3 fasteners.
I can move the text to the back.

Give me a few hours and I can post updates to the enclosure.
Modeling parts right now. updated bottom part for 4-40 and 3mm board screws.
Test printing front again.
Forgive me, the box I am using is in OpenSCAD and I am a long term Pro/E user.

Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5922 is a reply to message #5921] Sun, 03 February 2019 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gary, I made a bunch of changes to the case!

You can just print a new front panel that will work with the old top and bottom.

I also made the case short so the front and back panels are closer to the PCB hoping it makes things
go together easier but have not printed that yet, the one I made works ok but if anyone has a problem
let me know.

Added 4-40 and 3mm pcb screw bottoms, fixed the front and that took
a few tries since I don't have the reset switch or the LED from the BOM.
I used a rectangular green LED and bent the leads to fit and used a printed part
made with the data sheet to make the hole for the one in the BOM.
If there is interest I could add a 3mm or 5mm hole for a 3/5mm round LED and one can bend the leads to fit.
The one in the BOM costs a bit more than a plain LED and bent leads work fine to make it 90 degree.
THe pic I added shows my setup.

The back is plain, I know there is a double row of headers but haven't seen it used by anyone
yet and can make the case taller if anyone comes up with a board. I am working on a
back panel with the letters cut through and contrasting piece glued behind it but have not
uploaded the files yet until I get a good print.

I am in the process of putting together a few SBCs from here and will make cases for
them all and share them on thingiverse.

Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5933 is a reply to message #5922] Wed, 06 February 2019 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tingo is currently offline  tingo
Nice case! Will you share your OpenSCAD model?

Torfinn
Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5935 is a reply to message #5933] Wed, 06 February 2019 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The OpenSCAD files would be fun to play with (and learn from). I've just started with OpenSCAD.

The updated case prints and works nicely. A standard 5mm LED at right angle projects thru the opening.

Thanks again for making this available.

- Gary

Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5937 is a reply to message #5933] Thu, 07 February 2019 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I have added the file but it is just a revision of the one linked at thingiverse.
For the back panel with the lettering cutout I used Pro/Engineer and that file is of
no use to anyone without Pro/Engineer.
There is a revision to the Ultimate Box Maker I should have used at
thingiverse.com/thing:2938921

This one has more options to modify than the original and prefer it.
If there are other items you need modeled let me know in private messages, Gary.
Maybe I can do them.
Appreciate what I have seen you do for this comunity!
Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5942 is a reply to message #5937] Fri, 08 February 2019 19:52 Go to previous message
b1ackmai1er is currently offline  b1ackmai1er
It's a shame that it is not yet cost effective to do low cost plastic injection molding.

It would be fabulous to be able to manufacture high quality custom cases and bring back classic designs.

I have seen someone reproduce apple and amiga case but they are very expensive.

Previous Topic: Z80SBC64, yet another Z80 SBC
Next Topic: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project

Current Time: Wed Mar 20 09:18:00 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01095 seconds