RetroBrew Computers Forum
Discussion forum for the RetroBrew Computers community.

Home » RBC Forums » General Discussion » 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 (3d case)
3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5914] Sat, 02 February 2019 13:33 Go to next message
djmartins is currently offline  djmartins
I have posted a case for the MiniMax 8085 on thingiverse for people to use.
If there is a need I can print some at reasonable prices for people.

Here is where you can see it:
www.thingiverse.com/thing:3399973

quick print to test so the front cover is a bit thin on the surface, thought
and changes open to discussion.

Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5917 is a reply to message #5914] Sun, 03 February 2019 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gkaufman is currently offline  gkaufman
Nicely done, printing now...

Any thoughts of adding small holes for the LED or Reset switches?

- Gary
Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5918 is a reply to message #5917] Sun, 03 February 2019 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wellllllll

I have the parts for the reset switch and power LED on order.
So NOW I am thinking of doing that and that will eliminate the text on the front.
Might also model a simple block to form the leads so you can use a regular 3 or 5 mm LED...

Laughing

[Updated on: Sun, 03 February 2019 12:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5919 is a reply to message #5918] Sun, 03 February 2019 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have the top and bottom printed, and they look very nice.

You could put the text on the back panel.

Also the screw posts for mounting the board - the holes are a bit too large for a 4-40 to grab, but a 6-32 won't go thru the PC board easily. Might pay to make the holes a tiny bit smaller in the posts.

Thanks for making this available!

- Gary
Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5920 is a reply to message #5919] Sun, 03 February 2019 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The PCB mounting holes are for M3 screws.
If you really need 4-40 I can add another bottom with that but
these days, in spite of hating metric, I have been forced to use a lot of M3 fasteners.
I can move the text to the back.

Give me a few hours and I can post updates to the enclosure.
Modeling parts right now. updated bottom part for 4-40 and 3mm board screws.
Test printing front again.
Forgive me, the box I am using is in OpenSCAD and I am a long term Pro/E user.

[Updated on: Sun, 03 February 2019 14:55]

Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5921 is a reply to message #5920] Sun, 03 February 2019 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didn't think about trying metric, I do have some M3's.

If you're picky, looks like the power and and serial ports are slightly off (a bit too much to the left edge) but otherwise the case is really nicely done.

Ironically there is enough flex in the front panel to trigger the reset switch nicely.

- Gary

djmartins wrote on Sun, 03 February 2019 13:29
The PCB mounting holes are for M3 screws.
If you really need 4-40 I can add another bottom with that but
these days, in spite of hating metric, I have been forced to use a lot of M3 fasteners.
I can move the text to the back.

Give me a few hours and I can post updates to the enclosure.
Modeling parts right now. updated bottom part for 4-40 and 3mm board screws.
Test printing front again.
Forgive me, the box I am using is in OpenSCAD and I am a long term Pro/E user.

Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5922 is a reply to message #5921] Sun, 03 February 2019 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gary, I made a bunch of changes to the case!

You can just print a new front panel that will work with the old top and bottom.

I also made the case short so the front and back panels are closer to the PCB hoping it makes things
go together easier but have not printed that yet, the one I made works ok but if anyone has a problem
let me know.

Added 4-40 and 3mm pcb screw bottoms, fixed the front and that took
a few tries since I don't have the reset switch or the LED from the BOM.
I used a rectangular green LED and bent the leads to fit and used a printed part
made with the data sheet to make the hole for the one in the BOM.
If there is interest I could add a 3mm or 5mm hole for a 3/5mm round LED and one can bend the leads to fit.
The one in the BOM costs a bit more than a plain LED and bent leads work fine to make it 90 degree.
THe pic I added shows my setup.

The back is plain, I know there is a double row of headers but haven't seen it used by anyone
yet and can make the case taller if anyone comes up with a board. I am working on a
back panel with the letters cut through and contrasting piece glued behind it but have not
uploaded the files yet until I get a good print.

I am in the process of putting together a few SBCs from here and will make cases for
them all and share them on thingiverse.

Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5933 is a reply to message #5922] Wed, 06 February 2019 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tingo is currently offline  tingo
Nice case! Will you share your OpenSCAD model?

Torfinn
Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5935 is a reply to message #5933] Wed, 06 February 2019 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The OpenSCAD files would be fun to play with (and learn from). I've just started with OpenSCAD.

The updated case prints and works nicely. A standard 5mm LED at right angle projects thru the opening.

Thanks again for making this available.

- Gary

Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5937 is a reply to message #5933] Thu, 07 February 2019 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I have added the file but it is just a revision of the one linked at thingiverse.
For the back panel with the lettering cutout I used Pro/Engineer and that file is of
no use to anyone without Pro/Engineer.
There is a revision to the Ultimate Box Maker I should have used at
thingiverse.com/thing:2938921

This one has more options to modify than the original and prefer it.
If there are other items you need modeled let me know in private messages, Gary.
Maybe I can do them.
Appreciate what I have seen you do for this comunity!
Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #5942 is a reply to message #5937] Fri, 08 February 2019 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1ackmai1er is currently offline  b1ackmai1er
It's a shame that it is not yet cost effective to do low cost plastic injection molding.

It would be fabulous to be able to manufacture high quality custom cases and bring back classic designs.

I have seen someone reproduce apple and amiga case but they are very expensive.

Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #7018 is a reply to message #5942] Mon, 03 February 2020 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sergey is currently offline  Sergey
... and 1 year later I've printed the MiniMax8085 case Smile

First I've printed the case from provided STL files, but it had a few issues:
- The round hole for DC Jack didn't match the connector shape (rectangular)
- The PCB mounting holes seem to be a bit off. The actual distance between them is 90 x 70 mm, and the case had a slightly bigger distance. Maybe it was intentional to compensate for plastic shrinkage?
- I am using the "projected type" reset switch with a square key top, which didn't fit through a round hole in the case.

So I've redesigned it a bit. I've started with the SCAD code posted on Thingiverse, and tweaked it.

Here is the result:
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=1626&private=0

If there are no objections I'll put the design (STLs and SCAD files) on the project's web site.

[Updated on: Mon, 03 February 2020 14:42]

Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #7019 is a reply to message #7018] Mon, 03 February 2020 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Post it wherever you want!
I printed it in ABS but scaled it to make it the right size.
You'll have to do that with a lot of prints depending on the material you print it in.
All slicers allow you to scale things up or down as needed.
My reset button is round like on the BOM and recessed and the design didn't put the power jack through the front
of the case, the power plugs in fine through the hole.
I used one of the SCAD boxes found on Thingiverse and I like the design of this style of
case due to ease of changing the front or back panels for issues or changes in the boards put in the case.

I just did a case for a raspberry pi zero (NON wifi) along with a place for a RS232 board and a composite
jack to use with that pigfx (or the modified one based on that) for a small terminal that can
use a USB keyboard and have HDMI or composite video output.
If anyone is interested I can post it on Thingiverse too but again, you might need to scale the model
for PLA or PETG printing but the design is 1 to 1.
I use files to make things fit on 3D prints and will sometimes sand a surface smooth and use acetone to make
it look nice and shiny (ABS of course) and sometimes if I want a nice fit rely on a smaller hole that needed and
file to fit like with the rectangular LED in this case front.
Let me know if there is any interest, I am waiting for a REAL max3232 SOIC chip to replace the cheap chinese
copy on the $1.12 board that I am using.

Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #7043 is a reply to message #5942] Wed, 05 February 2020 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scruss is currently offline  scruss

b1ackmai1er wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 22:52
It's a shame that it is not yet cost effective to do low cost plastic injection molding.
It never will be: the tooling starts in the tens of thousands of dollars. You need demand in the thousands to make it worthwhile, which there isn't for retro computers.

I work in 3d printing (developing/distributing low-cost open source assistive technology for Makers Making Change, a Canadian charity) and in many cases it's replacing injection moulding entirely.

> Does anyone know what each of the pins on the 6502 CPU chip in the Apple II Plus does?
They all plug into the socket on the motherboard to keep the chip from drifting away. - c.s.a2 FAQ of yore
Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #7044 is a reply to message #7043] Thu, 06 February 2020 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1ackmai1er is currently offline  b1ackmai1er
scruss wrote on Wed, 05 February 2020 18:42
It never will be: the tooling starts in the tens of thousands of dollars. You need demand in the thousands to make it worthwhile, which there isn't for retro computers.

I work in 3d printing (developing/distributing low-cost open source assistive technology for Makers Making Change, a Canadian charity) and in many cases it's replacing injection moulding entirely.
... but ... I never beleived we would have tools like Kicad and that we could design and our own devices with, and that we could turn our designs into reality through China PCB shows for under $20.

I beleive one day the technology will be available to build disposable, low life injection moulding for around $1000 where you could make short runs of say 100 units.

Anyway thats my dream Smile

Edit: Thanks for the link to the site. Some very practical ways new technology can make peoples lives better. We take so much for granted.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 February 2020 00:04]

Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #7053 is a reply to message #7044] Thu, 06 February 2020 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1ackmai1er wrote on Thu, 06 February 2020 03:03
I beleive one day the technology will be available to build disposable, low life injection moulding for around $1000 where you could make short runs of say 100 units.

Anyway thats my dream Smile

Edit: Thanks for the link to the site. Some very practical ways new technology can make peoples lives better. We take so much for granted.

DIY injection molding has been done for decades.
There is a book on making one machine by Vince Gingery:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018RBEZKE/ref=dp-kindle-redirect? _encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
You can find copies out there for free.
Small items with simple molds but these days you can get a CNC mill cheaply and machine your own molds.
You can also file and sand 3D ABS prints and smooth it by wiping it with acetone to get a nice shiny and smooth surface
or run parts through an acetone vapor bath.
There are also the SLA 3D printers that use a resin bath and build up a part with an LCD or laser and they can make more
detailed parts than a standard FDM printer but it is a whole different tech that now has become relatively cheap.
Consumer level SLA printers have much smaller work spaces that are less than ideal for enclosures like this though.
One can also get a cheap laser cutter and make enclosures that way.
There are also laser diode engravers that can cut some materials, engrave many, and you can also add a Z axis to them and a small motor
and mill two sided PCBs.
Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #7059 is a reply to message #7019] Fri, 07 February 2020 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please do post, very appreciated!

- Gary

"I just did a case for a raspberry pi zero (NON wifi) along with a place for a RS232 board and a composite
jack to use with that pigfx (or the modified one based on that) for a small terminal that can
use a USB keyboard and have HDMI or composite video output.
If anyone is interested I can post it on Thingiverse too but again, you might need to scale the model
for PLA or PETG printing but the design is 1 to 1. "

Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #7067 is a reply to message #7043] Sat, 08 February 2020 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
etchedpixels is currently offline  etchedpixels
scruss wrote on Wed, 05 February 2020 18:42

It is changing - but probably not sufficiently for really low volume. Some of the soft moulds (that wear out after a thousand or so runs) are much cheaper, and it is possible to 3D print some classes of plastic moulding tool although very limiting.

I'm not sure it matters unless you are worried about structural integrity issues. For the most part a high end up 3D printing setup can produce a case that is as good as a plastic one visually and cheaper than even the low volume moulding techniques - but still too expensive for most of us.

You can also vacuum form stuff at home surprisingly cheaply.

Alan
Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #7073 is a reply to message #7067] Sun, 09 February 2020 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scruss is currently offline  scruss

Maybe so - but making the tooling is an extra delay, and you have to design for injection-mouldable parts. Jo Prusa has hundreds (possibly thousands) of his own 3D printers printing components for the printers he sells. It might take almost a day for a full set of parts to come off a printer, but he can (and does!Wink revise parts almost immediately. He can have his entire production line switch over to a new part within a day at no additional cost.

> Does anyone know what each of the pins on the 6502 CPU chip in the Apple II Plus does?
They all plug into the socket on the motherboard to keep the chip from drifting away. - c.s.a2 FAQ of yore
Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #7075 is a reply to message #7073] Mon, 10 February 2020 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sergey is currently offline  Sergey
The updated case OpenSCAD and STL files along with a short README are posted here: https://github.com/skiselev/minimax8085/tree/master/printed_ parts
Re: 3d printed case design for the MiniMax 8085 [message #7079 is a reply to message #7075] Mon, 10 February 2020 16:50 Go to previous message
Here are a few pictures of the case as designed.
I am not a photographer so go easy on me.....

https://i.imgur.com/nk1PhEs.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BPC7cAR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Wz1am3k.jpg

Lid is not screwed on and the reset button requires something to go through the hole to press it.

I am not a photographer so go easy on me.....
Previous Topic: New Board: ECB OPL2 Sound Card
Next Topic: 3D Printed Enclosure for Zeta SBC

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 12:19:49 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00807 seconds