RetroBrew Computers Forum
Discussion forum for the RetroBrew Computers community.

Home » RBC Forums » General Discussion » Zeta V2 & RomWBW - starting a new build (Getting started on this new project)
Zeta V2 & RomWBW - starting a new build [message #4201] Mon, 29 January 2018 18:26 Go to next message
mykelawson is currently offline  mykelawson
Well, I'm off and running; albeit slowly. My first PC back in the 80s was an Z-80 S-100; so this isn't so much black magic voodoo stuff. My 6 & 7 year old sons will be helping me solder things up, put it together, and get it running. But i have a few of questions as i build this thing out:
1. The RS-232 on the CPU board. Upon boot up, i assume N81; but what speed? I believe I saw one listed at 115K and another at 38.4K.
2. Can the CPU board be brought up without the ParPortProp board being connected?
3. Does the CPU RS-232 port provide I/O regardless of the presence of a ParPortProp board? Or does it switch to the ParPortProp card for I/O after that card has initialized?
Re: Zeta V2 & RomWBW - starting a new build [message #4202 is a reply to message #4201] Mon, 29 January 2018 18:46 Go to previous message
Wayne W is currently offline  Wayne W
mykelawson wrote on Mon, 29 January 2018 18:26
1. The RS-232 on the CPU board. Upon boot up, i assume N81; but what speed? I believe I saw one listed at 115K and another at 38.4K.

Default serial port speed under RomWBW is 38400 baud.

2. Can the CPU board be brought up without the ParPortProp board being connected?

Absolutely. As long as you are using the current version of RomWBW (v2.9.0), the ROM startup will automatically detect the presence of the ParPortProp and adjust accordingly.

3. Does the CPU RS-232 port provide I/O regardless of the presence of a ParPortProp board? Or does it switch to the ParPortProp card for I/O after that card has initialized?

At boot, I/O always starts on the CPU board's RS-232 port. After the initial hardware detection, if there is a ParPortProp attached and JP1 is not jumpered, then the console output will automatically switch to the VGA & PS/2 port of the ParPortProp.

When you initially connect the ParPortProp, I suggest you jumper JP1 so the console will stay on the RS-232 port. Once you are comfortable that the ParPortProp is generally working, you can jumper JP1 as desired to automatically switch the console to a VGA monitor and PS/2 keyboard during startup.

Once CP/M is running the console can easily be switched between CRT (VGA & PS/2) and TTY (RS-232) regardless of the JP1 jumper. The commands to perform the switch are:

B>STAT CON:=CRT: (switch to VGA & PS/2)

or

B>STAT CON:=TTY: (switch to RS-232)

Thanks,

Wayne
Previous Topic: XTIDE
Next Topic: Open DSKY Replica - Kickstarter Open

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:35:50 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00754 seconds