RetroBrew Computers Forum
Discussion forum for the RetroBrew Computers community.

Home » RBC Forums » General Discussion » Cyclone II and IV boards available.
Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #1413] Wed, 14 December 2016 03:05 Go to next message
rhkoolstar is currently offline  rhkoolstar
Hi all,

I recently finished up the design of my compact Cyclone boards and, as usual, I now have a few boards left over. They come in both Cyclone II (green) and Cyclone IV (red) version. Both have facilities for a micro SD card socket, VGA, PS/2, 2x512 KByte SRAM and 4x serial interfaces (Full handshake). One serial interface (#4) can be fitted with an ESM 8266 module. The Cyclone II version also has an RCA video output. The boards are pin-compatible with the II-C and IV-B boards, except for the serial interfaces 3 and 4 on the II-C board and CTS-4 on the IV-C board. The PS/2 connector has both keyboard and mouse pins wired up (1-2 & 5-6). this prevents problems with some converter cables.

The boards can be fitted with TTL/USB cables (3v3) or with FTDI USB modules. If required, RS-232 modules (MAX 3232) can be plugged in (see picture for examples). All serial interfaces have current limiting resistors fitted as well as optional weak CTS pulldowns.
For SD card sockets and LDO regulators, pre-made modules (available on EBAY) are used. These come with built-in decoupling capacitors. One regulator is used for the ESP option, the Cyclone IV board uses the second for SRAM and SD-card. I use axial capacitors under the SRAM chips. I'll include these because you might not normally use this type, and I have hundreds...

I have about 8 boards of each type left over. If anyone is interested they are available for $5 each (incl shipping). The board costs $2.50, postage is $2.50 also (crazy, I know)

one board = $5.00 (2 stamps)
two boards = $8.25 (3 stamps)
You can only pay me if you actually have the boards drop on your doormat. I send them as letter post which seems to fail occasionally. Payment details will be in the envelope (Paypal). If money is tight you can also pay it forward (help someone else when the occasion arrises).

Alternatively you can have your own boards made, Kicad gerbers are included.

Be well... Rienk

index.php?t=getfile&id=223&private=0
  • Attachment: 20161214_101907.jpg
    (Size: 994.97KB, Downloaded 2791 times)
  • Attachment: CII.pdf
    (Size: 174.72KB, Downloaded 591 times)
  • Attachment: CIV.pdf
    (Size: 159.14KB, Downloaded 617 times)
  • Attachment: CycloneII.zip
    (Size: 214.09KB, Downloaded 515 times)
  • Attachment: CycloneIV.zip
    (Size: 179.03KB, Downloaded 496 times)
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #1414 is a reply to message #1413] Wed, 14 December 2016 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pbirkel is currently offline  pbirkel
Rienk: I'd like to take a pair of the Cyclone IV (red) PCBs, plus one Cyclone II (green) PCB, please! Thank you :->. PM sent.
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #1415 is a reply to message #1413] Wed, 14 December 2016 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davetypeguy is currently offline  davetypeguy
Hi Rienk,

I would be interested in one Cyclone II and one Cyclone IV. I will send a PM with my address.

Dave London
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #1427 is a reply to message #1413] Sat, 17 December 2016 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oscarv is currently offline  oscarv
Rienk,

Christmas! Can I get 1 of each?

Kind regards,

Oscar.
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #1429 is a reply to message #1427] Sat, 17 December 2016 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Oscar

Yes you can.

Kind of festive aren't they?

I now have 3 green and 2 red left.

Rienk
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #1435 is a reply to message #1429] Tue, 20 December 2016 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nealcrook is currently offline  nealcrook
Rienk,

at the risk of being "picky" I think your decoupling cap leads are too long. At an Intel presentation long ago (hint: they mentioned bubble memory as the next Big Thing) the presenter said that if the lead of the decoupler was longer than 1/4" (say 6mm) you might as well not bother. Of course, that was in the context of a ground plane (which we don't have for our boards) and the kind of chunky switching currents caused by TTL chips. In any case, they are nice-looking boards. I particularly admire the fact that you were able to fit the two RAMs inside the footprint of the FPGA connector for the Cyclone 2. I think that must have made the routing a lot more straightforward. What's your opinion of KiCAD? Opinions on The Net seem to vary. The last time I designed a PCB I was using crepe tape (Damn. This post just seems like a teaser for a "guess my age" quiz) and I had been toying with the idea of climbing the learning curve for one PCB tool or another.

regards,

Neal.
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #1436 is a reply to message #1435] Tue, 20 December 2016 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Neal,

I don't think there is a possible way of connecting a decoupling cap with shorter leads. It is connected straight between the VCC (pin 32) and VSS (pin 16). Also there is no secondary current in those leads.

Lead length is directly related to the highest frequency used. With our configuration, a highest frequency of 300 MHz (3 ns pulse rise) gives a wavelength of 2.10^8 / 300.10^6 equals .66 metres (26 inch). (I assume a dielectric constant of 2/3 ( now I show my age, this should be called relative permittivity now, I believe)Wink. You run into trouble when you approach a quarter wavelength (16 cm or 6.5 inch)

Now when you start using GHz signals the 6 mm value would not seem unreasonable.

I would not worry too much about it.

I like Kicad. I have used ink on copper, rub-on decals for the island, crepe tape, later with ORCAD/LAYO1 I was able to make double sided boards. I did some Eagle and now Kicad.
I made some scripts to convert Eagle footprints to Kicad, with some success, but I am still struggling with arcs.
I think I'll stick with Kicad / Freerouting, I like open source, It runs on Linux and there seems to be some preference in this group for it. You will have to put some effort into it, but what else is new...

With PCB manufacturing available to the hobbyist the way it is now, I think it is a valuable skill to have.

Rienk

Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #1458 is a reply to message #1436] Wed, 28 December 2016 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
creep is currently offline  creep
Hi Rienk,

are there still boards available? I'd be interested in one or two Cyclone4 boards to move from my Cyclone2 version.

Best regards, Rene
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #1459 is a reply to message #1458] Wed, 28 December 2016 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Rene

Sure, I'll send them right away

I still have your address (at least if you haven't moved recently)

Rienk
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #1460 is a reply to message #1459] Wed, 28 December 2016 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
creep is currently offline  creep
Hi Rienk,

thank you so much! The address is still correct. But please don't forget to give me your bank information. I'd really like to reward you for your great help.

Best regards,
Rene
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #1474 is a reply to message #1413] Tue, 10 January 2017 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wd5gnr is currently offline  wd5gnr
I'm late to the game, but I'd be interested in either or both of these. I have been meaning to do something on this sort of thing over on Hackaday for awhile.

Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #1475 is a reply to message #1474] Tue, 10 January 2017 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got 1 red and 4 green left. PM what you want and your address, then I'll take care of it

Rienk
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #1599 is a reply to message #1475] Fri, 10 February 2017 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
computerdoc is currently offline  computerdoc

Hi rhkoolstar,
If you still have some boards, I'd like to get a red board and a green board for now. Please let me know your paypal address. Thanks.

Kip Koon
computerdoc at sc dot rr dot com
http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/User:Computerdoc
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #1601 is a reply to message #1599] Fri, 10 February 2017 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I only have a few prototypes left, Essentially the same boards but with small mistakes (wrong footprint). PM me for specifics.

Considering the production cost ($9.90 USD at seeed for 10 boards, shipping varies) I don't think it is smart to set up a supply line for single boards across the Atlantic ocean. I would think shipping within the continental USA is considerably cheaper.

I will continue to offer my overflow. Usually I don't need 5-10 boards. At these prices I don't really need to recoup the money. It is a better alternative than to just throw them out.

An updated version will be along within the foreseeable future. (I'm thinking of including TSOP footprints for the memory chips, to accommodate the speedfreaks. A good idea?Wink

Rienk
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #7957 is a reply to message #1601] Wed, 09 September 2020 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tingo is currently offline  tingo
Old thread, but I have questions. Last year I bought a green (Cyclone II) board (not here, on VCF) and some components (I also have the required Cyclone II board). Now I need to source components for the rest of the green board.
I doesn't look like this particular board is documented on the wiki? Is it documented somewhere else (Github, ... ?Wink
I'm looking for the schematic and a BOM (the KiCad project would be nice, if available).

Specific questions now:
- which axial capacitors (partnumber) are used under the SRAM sockets?
- which LDO modules are used (for ESP 8266)?

Torfinn
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #7966 is a reply to message #7957] Fri, 11 September 2020 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The board is documented here: https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku.php?id=builderpages: rhkoolstar:start
third item from the top.

I generally get all the parts from ebay.
the capacitors I use are called CT42, but any 100n capacitor small enough will do.

the LDO module I use is called AMS1117-3.3 LDO 800MA Board. I straighten the pins and mount them upside down. (LDO on top). The LDO is only used to power an ESP8266 module.

the sd card module can be found under "tf mini sd card module memory module arduino".

for example https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Tf-Mini-S-d-Card-Module-Memory -Module-Arduino-ArYJUSHH/303636999005?hash=item46b22ceb5d:g: RuMAAOSwvrxbOcDH

schematic included:

Kicad files are mostly custom components (modules) and I first need to clean them up as they are made with an older version of KiCad.

When you are in a pinch I can send you the missing parts.

success, Rienk
  • Attachment: output.pdf
    (Size: 201.72KB, Downloaded 256 times)
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #7970 is a reply to message #7966] Tue, 15 September 2020 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah - thanks! I didn't see the link for the MC-2G-1024k at first, sorry about that.
And thanks for the schematic.

Torfinn
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #8044 is a reply to message #7970] Thu, 22 October 2020 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Finally managed to solder up the Cyclone II board I have, see picture. Before I power it up, I have a couple more questions:
1) what is the pinout of the connector for the ftdi modules? I think it is (from left to right when you can read "FTDI232"): gnd, cts, vcc (not connected), txd, rxd, rts
2) SDsocket pinout: I think it has gnd on the left when you can read "SDSocket", is that correct?
The schematic posted doesn't quite correspond to the layout of the PCB, so I figured it was better to ask first.
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=1899&private=0

Torfinn
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #8046 is a reply to message #8044] Thu, 22 October 2020 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

In both cases you are entirely correct.

Rienk
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #8051 is a reply to message #8046] Mon, 26 October 2020 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, so my AS6C4008-55PCN chips are bad / not working (I used Camelforth from this page to test). I have some AS6C1008-55PCN chips as well, but checking the datasheet I see that they are not entirely pin compatible (they have a CE2 on the same pin that the 4008 have A17).
So I will have to change the VHDL code in order to use these chips, right? (I was thinking I could use them for testing at least).

Torfinn
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #8052 is a reply to message #8051] Tue, 27 October 2020 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, you can do that. Basically you need to set sramAddress 17 to high somewhere. But that is not as straightforward as it might seem.
Alternatively you can bend SRAM pin 30 up and connect it to pin 32 (if you do this carefully you can undo this later)
Just use one chip (128k). Both CP/M 2 and CP/M 3 will work, but not MP/M. Also stay away from the RAM disk

Rienk
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #8053 is a reply to message #8052] Tue, 27 October 2020 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1ackmai1er is currently offline  b1ackmai1er
Maybe of some help

https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku.php?id=playground:b1 ackmai1er:start

Regards Phil
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #8056 is a reply to message #8053] Tue, 27 October 2020 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1ackmai1er wrote on Tue, 27 October 2020 15:09
Maybe of some help

https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku.php?id=playground:b1 ackmai1er:start
Wow, that does indeed look useful. Thanks!

Torfinn
Re: Cyclone II and IV boards available. [message #8059 is a reply to message #8056] Wed, 28 October 2020 09:12 Go to previous message
In other news, today I got new AS6C4008-55PCN chips (ordered from RS Online this time) and with two of those installed my Multicomp II-c board (lookalike?) works nicely, both multicomp09 / Camelforth and multicomp cp/m. So the previous AS6C4008-55PCN memory chips are not working correctly.

Torfinn
Previous Topic: SBC-188 bios revision to 3.4-0
Next Topic: SBC-188 respin (version 3)

Current Time: Sun May 19 23:03:34 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00770 seconds