RetroBrew Computers Forum
Discussion forum for the RetroBrew Computers community.

Home » RBC Forums » General Discussion » Zeta2 + AIC 37c65CY (Floppy doesn't work)
Zeta2 + AIC 37c65CY [message #5349] Thu, 18 October 2018 23:43 Go to next message
jrs is currently offline  jrs
Hi. Having wrecked my Zeta 1 with some ham-fisted dremel tool work, I went ahead and salvaged most of its parts for a new Zeta 2 board a friend sent me. I have nearly everything working except the floppy drive, which does precisely nothing.

I still have to verify that my floppy drive is getting +5v as it should, but while I work on checking that, does anyone know if the ST AIC 37c65CY floppy controller is compatible with the WD37c65c specified in the Zeta2 BOM? I assumed it was but I can't find a datasheet on the ST part at all. I got these on clearance from an electronics surplus house some years back. I vaguely recall people saying this particular chip had weirdnesses, but I can't find anything about it now.
Re: Zeta2 + AIC 37c65CY [message #5391 is a reply to message #5349] Tue, 23 October 2018 17:19 Go to previous message
jrs is currently offline  jrs
Update: On close inspection, the drive was, in fact, receiving its allotted 5v. However, on closer inspection, and because it wouldn't be one of my builds without this, I missed soldering two of the clock oscillator socket pins on the clock that serves the floppy controller. Once I got these soldered, the floppy sprang to life as you'd expect.

It still doesn't //work//, mind you. I suspect I'm seeing the incompatibilities discussed elsewhere on this forum - timing problems, basically. The system detects that the floppy is there, but when called upon to read the floppy, it can't find the drive. Interestingly, when commanded to format the floppy, it makes formatting noises (that's as much checking as I've done). I have a pair of real WD 37c65mumbles on order, so I'll hopefully have a known good controller to work with and debug the floppy system.

-JRS
Previous Topic: New Board Development - SBC6120-RBC Edition
Next Topic: OUP-M

Current Time: Sat Jan 18 15:19:12 PST 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01165 seconds