RetroBrew Computers Forum
Discussion forum for the RetroBrew Computers community.

Home » RBC Forums » General Discussion » Interested in a Z280 SBC (Z280 SBC retrobrew (CPU280 Revival))  () 1 Vote
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #2921 is a reply to message #2918] Sat, 27 May 2017 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fritzeflink is currently offline  fritzeflink
snhirsch_gmail.com wrote on Sat, 27 May 2017 20:23
I finally figured out how to convert a CPU280 diskette IMG file to HFE (for HxC diskette emulator) with a sector interleave of 2. Use the 'Load Raw Image' option in the GUI tool and set things thusly:

Great work. So you can define your own format I believe.

I, in my case, did mostly the easier way reading a floppy disk with IMD or Teledisk as the HxC tool can work with those images.
As I use the HxC seldom I must read the documentation again.

/*-----
fritz
-----*/
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #2922 is a reply to message #2912] Sat, 27 May 2017 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne W is currently offline  Wayne W
snhirsch_gmail.com wrote on Sat, 27 May 2017 06:55
FYI: It does appear that fast GAL parts can be problematic. I originally used Lattice 16V8 7ns parts in all four locations and found that the board was unable to count the full memory complement until it had been on for about 10 minutes or was run at reduced voltage. Suspecting a race condition, I replaced the CAS GAL with a National 16V8 15ns part. The problem is gone. It now counts all 2048k from a cold start at full voltage. It's possible my unit is an outlier, but it might be worth advising future builders to stick with 15 ns devices. Digikey and Mouser don't appear to stock the slower devices, but they are available from Unicorn Electronics. I've found Unicorn to be a great source for ICs. They stock all but one of the parts on the CPU280 BOM (I had to pickup the 74AS158s from DigiKey).

Different PLD speeds could certainly make a difference, but note that I have been using 7.5ns Atmel devices from the start and my system has always been rock solid. No doubt a combination of tolerances, but I would not conclude that 15ns PLDs are the answer as a general rule.

-Wayne
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #2923 is a reply to message #2921] Sun, 28 May 2017 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
snhirsch_gmail.com is currently offline  snhirsch_gmail.com
fritzeflink wrote on Sat, 27 May 2017 13:28
snhirsch_gmail.com wrote on Sat, 27 May 2017 20:23
I finally figured out how to convert a CPU280 diskette IMG file to HFE (for HxC diskette emulator) with a sector interleave of 2. Use the 'Load Raw Image' option in the GUI tool and set things thusly:

Great work. So you can define your own format I believe.

I, in my case, did mostly the easier way reading a floppy disk with IMD or Teledisk as the HxC tool can work with those images.
As I use the HxC seldom I must read the documentation again.

No, I did not define my own format. The issue was this: The simple path for creating an HxC "HFE" file from one of the IMG files results in 1:1 physical sector interleave. While this functions properly, it is extremely slow since the CPU280 cannot keep up and wastes a full virtual revolution between sector reads. The approach I documented ensures that the image file has an every-other-sector interleave. With the new arrangement an entire track can be read in a total of two revolutions rather than 18.
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #2924 is a reply to message #2922] Sun, 28 May 2017 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne W wrote on Sat, 27 May 2017 13:52
snhirsch_gmail.com wrote on Sat, 27 May 2017 06:55
FYI: It does appear that fast GAL parts can be problematic. I originally used Lattice 16V8 7ns parts in all four locations and found that the board was unable to count the full memory complement until it had been on for about 10 minutes or was run at reduced voltage. Suspecting a race condition, I replaced the CAS GAL with a National 16V8 15ns part. The problem is gone. It now counts all 2048k from a cold start at full voltage. It's possible my unit is an outlier, but it might be worth advising future builders to stick with 15 ns devices. Digikey and Mouser don't appear to stock the slower devices, but they are available from Unicorn Electronics. I've found Unicorn to be a great source for ICs. They stock all but one of the parts on the CPU280 BOM (I had to pickup the 74AS158s from DigiKey).

Different PLD speeds could certainly make a difference, but note that I have been using 7.5ns Atmel devices from the start and my system has always been rock solid. No doubt a combination of tolerances, but I would not conclude that 15ns PLDs are the answer as a general rule.

-Wayne

As I said, I'm not an electrical engineer nor a computer designer. All I know is that my symptoms were characteristic of a timing violation and the slower parts solved it. Just out of curiousity, what brand and speed of memory are you using on your board?
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #2925 is a reply to message #2924] Sun, 28 May 2017 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
snhirsch_gmail.com wrote on Sun, 28 May 2017 08:13

As I said, I'm not an electrical engineer nor a computer designer. All I know is that my symptoms were characteristic of a timing violation and the slower parts solved it. Just out of curiosity, what brand and speed of memory are you using on your board?

Toshiba, 60ns
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #2927 is a reply to message #2925] Sun, 28 May 2017 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne W wrote on Sun, 28 May 2017 09:07

As I said, I'm not an electrical engineer nor a computer designer. All I know is that my symptoms were characteristic of a timing violation and the slower parts solved it. Just out of curiosity, what brand and speed of memory are you using on your board?

Toshiba, 60ns

Ah, that may be why your board works with 7 ns. parts! My original memory was 80 ns, resulting in a machine that barely would boot after considerable warmup. Lamar sent me 70 ns. memory, which worked quite a bit better although still required warmup to recognize all the memory. Moving to the slower GAL brought the 70 ns parts to full life. If I had 60 ns it might have been fine with the 7 ns GALs.
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #2928 is a reply to message #2927] Mon, 29 May 2017 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lowen is currently offline  lowen
Ok, I have sent a couple of PMs to some who expressed interest in building a CPU280 once the beta period was complete. I honestly was a bit concerned with the troubles Steven was having, but his eventual success, as well as the successes by all the others who have built and collaborated on the CPU280, and with Wayne's github hosting working and usable EPROM and disk images, I believe we're ready to be in more of a production mode. Of course, for the hobbyist, 'production' has a different definition than it would for a commercial manufacturer, and I'm still getting docs and stuff together, especially the build notes that have accumulated in this thread.

If those who I PMed get a board apiece, I will have 4 boards available for sale (but I can get ten more within about a week). PM me if you're interested in purchasing a bare board or a board plus the harder-to-find parts and/or the programmable parts.

--
Bughlt: Sckmud
Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!

[Updated on: Mon, 29 May 2017 18:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #2933 is a reply to message #2927] Tue, 30 May 2017 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonas is currently offline  Jonas
snhirsch_gmail.com wrote on Sun, 28 May 2017 15:01
Wayne W wrote on Sun, 28 May 2017 09:07

Toshiba, 60ns

Ah, that may be why your board works with 7 ns. parts! My original memory was 80 ns, resulting in a machine that barely would boot after considerable warmup. Lamar sent me 70 ns. memory, which worked quite a bit better although still required warmup to recognize all the memory. Moving to the slower GAL brought the 70 ns parts to full life. If I had 60 ns it might have been fine with the 7 ns GALs.

More hints about this problem here:

https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku.php?id=boards:ecb:vg a3:construction
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #2934 is a reply to message #2933] Tue, 30 May 2017 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I became sidetracked with my operational issues and never posted any feedback on construction. So, a few high points:

• Do not use disk capacitors for power supply bypass. They create clearance issues in several locations due to their height. Even if they don't directly interfere, they make it next to impossible to work a screwdriver under the adjacent chip for extraction.
  • The BOM (spreadsheet) called for SIL six pin resistor networks at RN2 and RN6 with a note to "Cut off extra pin / resistor". Cutting the resistor off fractures the ceramic package and cutting the pin leaves enough length to create significant clearance issues. If a five pin package is not available I suggest fabricating the networks from individual parts. Ditto for RN5.
  • Jury is still out on the wisdom of using machined pin IC sockets. Their footprint is just enough larger to create clearance issues for bypass caps between sockets. I had to stack a second socket under both EPROMs and the Dallas DS1287 to lift them over the bypass caps and/or adjacent chips.
  • A 34-pin header should be used for the floppy connection. I didn't think this through and mounted a 50-pin header on mine.
  • A detail drawing is needed to explain polarity for both the tantalum caps and the LEDs. The screened symbols were hard to read and are not familiar (perhaps DIN standard).
  • Must use 15 ns GALs (discussed in a recent thread of notes)_.
  • Suggest socketing the ZIP DRAM packages.

Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #2950 is a reply to message #2934] Sat, 03 June 2017 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update for 6/3/2017:

New pics! Here's what I'm shipping as the board+hard-to-find+programmables kit, and a new pic of my older CPU280 with newer EPROM and GAL16V8D's (please note that yes, I am aware that the Z280 socket is rotated 90 degrees; the Z280 is oriented correctly for the board, though not for the socket, which makes swapping Z280's for testing a bit fun) Smile.

The Brother P-Touch PT-P700 PC-connected label printer does nicely, with the 3.5mm-wide TZe-N201 working well for labelling the GAL16V8's and the regular 12mm TZe-2312 tape working well for the EPROMs. Note that the checksum I'm printing on the EPROM is the negated checksum in big-endian form. (generated with srec_cat's checksum-neg-b-e function. A simple shell script I use to generate the checksum is attached, and it requires the SRec tools).

Also, the four RAM's came back from Steve; they are actually 60ns parts, not 80. So now I'm really confused, as they aren't too slow. I'm running OKI 60ns RAMs in mine with 15ns Lattice GAL16V8Ds. All kits from this point (including the three I put together today) will be shipping with OKI 60ns parts that are new-old-stock in OKI factory sealed tubes..

Steve, thanks for the pointers on the construction!

EDIT: Tested and packaged for shipment three kits today. I programmed five sets of GAL16V8s and 27C256 EPROMS, so I have one set of programmables left and ready to ship (one is running in my CPU280). I had one GAL16V8D out of 21 fail programming (programmer told me it went into current limit, short circuit), but no other tested parts failed. All three Z280's tested ok; all three SMC FDC's tested ok; all EPROMs booted and ran. To test the RAM and the FDC I use a utility disk image in A: on my HxC, and run 'PIP E:=A:*.*' and let it run to completion. C: is a scratch drive, and testing FDC writes is accomplished by 'PIP C:=A:*.*' running to completion.

--

[Updated on: Sat, 03 June 2017 13:33]

Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #2952 is a reply to message #2950] Sat, 03 June 2017 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dang. Sorry about that. My eyesight is not as good as it used to be! Not sure we'll ever completely understand the failure mode on my board. It's unlikely to be the CPU or EPROMs, since those were changed out (several times in the case of the CPU). All the tolerances here must have added up in the wrong direction Smile. I'm pleased at how smoothly it runs now. Biggest surprise is a DS1287 from my parts drawer (with date code in 1992) that's still ticking 25 years down the road.

[Updated on: Sat, 03 June 2017 16:00]

Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3113 is a reply to message #1189] Mon, 26 June 2017 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright, I've gotten a few requests to see about getting the REH-ECB-IDE, the companion IDE board for the CPU280, re-produced. I do have the raw gerbers from Tilmann, and if there is enough interest (if I can get commitments and preferably payment for seven boards) I'll get a run of ten (or more, if more than ten are wanted) made. I already know of five, including one for myself.

I'm very much interested in getting both the PropIO and the VGA3 workable as consoles, and ideally I'd like it to be auto-selectable or configurable with configuration stored in the DS1287 RTC (default to serial on the Z280's UART). I'd like to see a driver for other IDE/SD/CF devices, too, especially the PropIO's SD card.

But to be vintage-accurate, the REH-ECB-IDE needs to be re-produced anyway, though.

Thoughts?

--
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3114 is a reply to message #3113] Mon, 26 June 2017 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can commit to two of the REH-ECB-IDE boards. I am also interested in ultimately porting PropIO to the CPU280, but would like to have the original vintage boards as well.

-Wayne
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3115 is a reply to message #3113] Mon, 26 June 2017 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hopefully I'm one of the five, but if not please write me in for an IDE board. Also very interested in a VGA solution.
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3116 is a reply to message #3115] Mon, 26 June 2017 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I've ordered a run of ten IDE boards. I'll update once they arrive; PCBcart typically takes a week. I'm attaching a ZIP file with the manual, PAL source, and JEDEC files for four different port address ranges to this post so you can start gathering parts and program the GAL20V8 needed.

If you want to prepay, send me a PM, otherwise wait until I get the boards and do a bit of QC. Tilmann's gerbers are good, and PCBcart has done me well in the manufacturing end, but there's always a possibility of an issue.

--
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3117 is a reply to message #3115] Mon, 26 June 2017 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pbirkel is currently offline  pbirkel
snhirsch_gmail.com wrote on Mon, 26 June 2017 11:52
Hopefully I'm one of the five, but if not please write me in for an IDE board. Also very interested in a VGA solution.

Please add me to the list for an REH-ECB-IDE board; I think that gets us (you) to the magic ten?

And register my interest in a VGA solution, also :->.

Thanks!
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3118 is a reply to message #3117] Mon, 26 June 2017 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless I've miscounted, I get to nine including Paul. I had posted on comp.os.cpm about it, and got a couple of replies, with interest in three IDE boards in those two replies; then one for me, one via PM here, snhirch and wayne together with three here, and Paul. I'd like to limit the initial order to ten so that if something is wrong with the first batch it's not too hard to get and pay for a second batch of ten. If there's more interest beyond this first ten, we'll take that as it comes..... Smile. $25 for a bare board, just like with the CPU280. There aren't any hard to find parts on the IDE board, and just one GAL to program. I don't have any 20V8s in stock, nor do I have a way of verifying them until I build my own IDE, so I'm initially not going to offer anything but the bare board for the IDE.

--
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3119 is a reply to message #3118] Mon, 26 June 2017 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tlink is currently offline  tlink
If still available I would definitely be interested in the IDE board.
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3120 is a reply to message #1189] Mon, 26 June 2017 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trick-1 is currently offline  trick-1
I would like to get a CPU280 + the IDE board please. Let me know details via PM.

Also please register my interest in the vga solution.

Cheers

Richard
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3124 is a reply to message #3120] Tue, 27 June 2017 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, the first ten IDE boards are all reserved. I have the first three of a second batch reserved as well. Once I see how the first batch works out I'll get a second batch made. This also generated enough interest to finish out the second batch of ten CPU280 boards, and if there's any interest I'll probably get a third batch of ten of them made.

PCBcart has notified me that the boards should ship July 4. So that means the IDE gerbers passed their in-house sanity check (they looked good here before I sent them) and they had no questions.

--

[Updated on: Tue, 27 June 2017 10:25]

Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3139 is a reply to message #3124] Sun, 02 July 2017 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sarah is currently offline  sarah
Hi All,

The good news: I've got my CPU280 board put together! The bad news: it needs a little debugging... Smile

The first problem I had was getting ANYTHING to show up on the serial port. Using a logic probe, I could see a little burst of data coming out of IC29 on power up, so I figured it was just the usual getting-the-serial-port-to-talk stuff, which turned out to be the case. In case it saves somebody a little time:

Serial Port Related Issues

0. I used two lengths of 9-pin ribbon cable, both attached to a 20 pin IDC connector at one end (but be sure to skip pins 10 and 20), and two DB9 IDC connectors on the other ends. I think this is more or less what the hardware manual was suggesting...

1. The ROM I have is indeed set to talk at 9600 8-N-1 like it says in the documentation.

2. As the CPU280 has two serial ports on its 20-pin connector, it's important to use the right one. The port used at startup is the one with TXD1 and RXD1 on it. For extra credit, verify that you're actually using the connector that's wired to those pins! My brain assumed that the "top" connector was the "first" one. It isn't. The first one is the one that starts with pin 1, which on my cable is the connector that's closer to the ECB bus connector, i.e. "the bottom one" in my brain... this one little thing took way too long for me to discover. Use the right connector!

3. I'm testing on Linux. I used picocom -b 9600 -f n -p n -d 8 /dev/ttyUSB0; you may need to run it with sudo depending on how the permissions are set on your serial port.

4. The cabling configuration I'm using: USB to serial adapter, then 9-pin gender changer (but NOT null modem adapter), then the DB9 IDC connector.

With all that sorted out, the board powers up, and outputs:

CPU280 Boot Loader V1.2 RBC 8-Mar-2017
http://www.retrobrewcomputers.org
based on Cold Loader Program V1.13 TR 950314
Press DEL to run SETUP.

Fatal Error: not enough RAM

Sad

Additional Information

The board is drawing about 380mA.

The third LED stays lit, I assume because the RAM test doesn't pass.

I'm not 100% sure what kind of EPROMs lowen sent me, so I'm not 100% sure how J5 should be set. I've tried it in both the 27C256 and 27C512 positions and both produce the same results.

I'm not sure how to set the wait states for the EPROM either, but I tried setting J3/J4 for both 0 and 3 wait states and both give the same results.

J1/J2 is set for 1:1.

I did use J10 to briefly reset the RTC, which is a DS12887A recently from DigiKey. It does have the /RCLR pin installed.

The board is completely populated except for Q3, which is the 9.6 MHz crystal for the floppy controller. It's still "on the way"; DigiKey didn't have one so it's from a random eBay vendor instead. There's no floppy drive installed at the moment. There's no connector installed on CN2 yet.

The other three crystals are installed and all have insulators under them.

RAM is in IC11/IC12/IC13/IC14, and is 514400-60 supplied by lowen, installed in machined SIP sockets. I think they're installed in the right orientation; the writing on the chips faces the ECB connector and the little inset dot in the lower left corner corresponds to the cut corner on the board outline. I've visually inspected to make sure all pins are in place in the sockets, and checked all the solder joints under magnification. I also made one attempt to shuffle around the chips, which didn't seem to make a difference.

I've attached a picture of the mostly-completed board, but that image was taken before first powerup, so the jumpers might not be what I've described above.

I also tried to measure the /CAS pulse as the documentation suggested, using my analog scope; a picture of that is attached too. Sorry for the quality; wrong time of day and not enough hands. It looks like about 20ns, though, doesn't it? Is it clean enough? Square enough? There's also a /RAS pulse that's a bit wider than the /CAS pulse; I didn't get a picture of that one.

So... any thoughts on where I should start trying to debug this? I've poked around the DRAM refresh circuitry with both the scope and a logic probe, but I don't really know what I'm looking for. There's definitely a lot of "stuff" happening; most of the pins are changing state.

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Sarah

Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3142 is a reply to message #3139] Mon, 03 July 2017 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is anyone using the Briel Pocketerm with their CPU280? For some reason, it is not sending a proper DEL character and I cannot access the 280 setup menu as a result. I've encountered this before with certain terminal emulation settings on ProComm. A solution or workaround would be great, since the Pocketerm is otherwise very convenient.
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3147 is a reply to message #3142] Tue, 04 July 2017 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
snhirsch_gmail.com wrote on Mon, 03 July 2017 16:48
Is anyone using the Briel Pocketerm with their CPU280? For some reason, it is not sending a proper DEL character and I cannot access the 280 setup menu as a result. I've encountered this before with certain terminal emulation settings on ProComm. A solution or workaround would be great, since the Pocketerm is otherwise very convenient.

Hi,
i have no pocketterm but at the website you got the firmware. Sadly the pocketterm is out of production and I too would like to have a "small terminal". I'll take my Toshiba Libretto but the keyboard is very small too. Smile
In CPU280.mac are the ASCII definitions and DEL = 7FH. With a RS232 skimmer you'll see what the pocket term sends.
Otherwise in loader.280 there is the check if user jumper UJ1 is set or if the checksum changed and then -> call setup.

I took a look at http://www.brielcomputers.com/files/PTfirmware.zip and found (looking in PocketTermV.905.SPIN) that the VT100 code is Esc[valueP (Delete one character).

This are only my thoughts and I used Filelocator Pro for easy searching .

/*-----
fritz
-----*/
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3148 is a reply to message #3147] Tue, 04 July 2017 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Fritz. I was able to to hack the Propellor code to emit a 7FH and get into the setup screen successfully.

Unfortunately, I seem to have shot myself through the foot after that. I setup the CPU280 for hardware handshaking and reset it. And... It's dead. I see no memory test anymore and the third status LED stays lit. Something appears to have gone very wrong with the NVRAM setup in the Dallas clock chip. I tried installing jumper J10 (with power off), but that does not seem to work. Tillman's documentation does imply that only the 'A' version of the 1287 has that feature and I'm using an original 1287.

Does anyone know how I can recover from this?

Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3149 is a reply to message #3148] Tue, 04 July 2017 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
snhirsch_gmail.com wrote on Tue, 04 July 2017 17:14
Thanks, Fritz. I was able to to hack the Propellor code to emit a 7FH and get into the setup screen successfully.

Unfortunately, I seem to have shot myself through the foot after that. I setup the CPU280 for hardware handshaking and reset it. And... It's dead. I see no memory test anymore and the third status LED stays lit. Something appears to have gone very wrong with the NVRAM setup in the Dallas clock chip. I tried installing jumper J10 (with power off), but that does not seem to work. Tillman's documentation does imply that only the 'A' version of the 1287 has that feature and I'm using an original 1287.

Does anyone know how I can recover from this?

So it's like my full day work installing any software on a igel 5/3 - nothings works like it should today.

Maybe a fake null modem will help.

https://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/RS-232.html
https://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/info/RS-232_null_modem.html# loop

/*-----
fritz
-----*/

[Updated on: Wed, 05 July 2017 13:24]

Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3150 is a reply to message #3149] Tue, 04 July 2017 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi, Fritz.

How will a null-modem help towards clearing/resetting NVRAM? The CPU280 will not come up at all (third LED stuck on). Unless there's something I'm missing, the original DS1287 cannot be cleared easily. It's possible my current problems are unrelated to the CMOS setting (maybe the board just decided to drop dead on its own), but looks like I'll have to order a 12887A and give that a try.

UPDATE: Found a stash of DS12xxxx chips that I'd totally forgotten about! After a slight diversion with a DS12287 that caused the '280 to use some bizarre baud rate, I located another working DS1287 and am back in action. Very strange and more than a bit scary. I ordered a new DS12887A+ from Digikey so I'll have a means for recovery using the jumper if this happens again.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 July 2017 09:35]

Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3152 is a reply to message #3150] Tue, 04 July 2017 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
snhirsch_gmail.com wrote on Tue, 04 July 2017 17:40
Hi, Fritz.

How will a null-modem help towards clearing/resetting NVRAM? The CPU280 will not come up at all (third LED stuck on). Unless there's something I'm missing, the original DS1287 cannot be cleared easily. It's possible my current problems are unrelated to the CMOS setting (maybe the board just decided to drop dead on its own), but looks like I'll have to order a 12887A and give that a try.

###
From my old CPU280 years ago I believe I remember that the 3rd LED even stays on if the terminal
wasn't connected. Can somebody test this or take a look into the source if I'm right?
###

From the doc but but my remember is left.

2. Boot loader

During these operations the three LEDs display the current status.
The hardware reset enables all three LEDs. Immediately after reset the
first one is turned off. The second one is turned off after successfully
measuring the clock frequency, and the third one after the RAM test. If
the battery in the real-time clock is empty, the second LED stays on while
the third is turned off.

/*-----
fritz
-----*/
icon14.gif  Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3153 is a reply to message #3150] Tue, 04 July 2017 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
snhirsch_gmail.com wrote on Tue, 04 July 2017 17:40
Hi, Fritz.

UPDATE: Found a stash of DS12xxxx chips that I'd totally forgotten about! After a slight diversion with a DS12287 that caused the '280 to use some bizarre baud rate, I located another working DS1287 and am back in action. Very strange and more than a bit scary. I ordered a new DS12887A+ from Digikey so I'll have a means for recovery using the jumper if this happens again.

You are lucky again... Very Happy

will you please disconnect your terminal cord and tell me what the CPU280 leds do after reboot?

/*-----
fritz
-----*/

[Updated on: Tue, 04 July 2017 11:08]

Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3155 is a reply to message #3153] Tue, 04 July 2017 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Problems with your DALLAS - use your universal memory programmer

In the past I got some DS12887A+ without the pins for reset and just looked onto my memprog programmer.
The memprog is a small programmer but he can be used to programm the DALLAS too.

So if you have a programmer and some unusable DALLAS give them a try.

index.php?t=getfile&id=530&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=531&private=0
  • Attachment: hc_480.jpg
    (Size: 217.35KB, Downloaded 1048 times)
  • Attachment: hc_479.jpg
    (Size: 573.67KB, Downloaded 1163 times)

/*-----
fritz
-----*/

[Updated on: Tue, 04 July 2017 13:12]

Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3156 is a reply to message #3153] Tue, 04 July 2017 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fritzeflink wrote on Tue, 04 July 2017 11:07

You are lucky again... Very Happy

will you please disconnect your terminal cord and tell me what the CPU280 leds do after reboot?

It does not need a terminal to boot. At at least, it doesn't when hardware handshake is not being used. I'm not about to do that experiment again until I have a clock / NVRAM chip I can clear with a jumper.
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3157 is a reply to message #3155] Tue, 04 July 2017 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fritzeflink wrote on Tue, 04 July 2017 12:50
Problems with your DALLAS - use your universal memory programmer

In the past I got some DS12887A+ without the pins for reset and just looked onto my memprog programmer.
The memprog is a small programmer but he can be used to programm the DALLAS too.

So if you have a programmer and some unusable DALLAS give them a try.

I have several programmers here and none of them can speak to a Dallas chip.
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3160 is a reply to message #3139] Wed, 05 July 2017 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry for the delay in replying; I had a wisdom tooth extracted Friday, so I took it easy over the long weekend.....

sarah wrote on Sun, 02 July 2017 21:09
Hi All,

The good news: I've got my CPU280 board put together! The bad news: it needs a little debugging... :)

First, great that it is together and a portion of the board is working fine (otherwise you wouldn't get any text at all). Thanks for the good writeup on your experiences with the serial ports; no, they aren't 9-pin AT standard (they are actually designed to line up with a 25-pin connector's first 10 pins according to the docs). I need to write that up better and put it on the wiki, along with a wiring diagram.....

Quote:

With all that sorted out, the board powers up, and outputs:

CPU280 Boot Loader V1.2 RBC 8-Mar-2017
http://www.retrobrewcomputers.org
based on Cold Loader Program V1.13 TR 950314
Press DEL to run SETUP.

Fatal Error: not enough RAM

:(

Additional Information

The board is drawing about 380mA.

The third LED stays lit, I assume because the RAM test doesn't pass.

Current draw is good, and yes the third LED doesn't go out because the RAM test didn't pass.

The good news is that the Z280's bus is good, the system and I/O address decode is good, the lower 16 bits of the address is properly latched, the EPROMs are good, the DS12887A is good, the clocking is good, and you have good UART and LT1134 RS-232-TTL shifters.

Now, the areas that could be bad:

1.) The RAM itself. I'll be glad to swap you four more chips. This is the easiest thing to troubleshoot and is the most likely culprit.

2.) IC21 (GAL16V8-RAM). I tested this chip prior to shipping, but it's always possible that it could have lost some of its programming.

3.) IC22 (GAL16V8-CAS4). I tested this chip prior to shipping as well. IC21 and IC22 together produce the majority of the DRAM control.

4.) IC30 and IC4. Together these chips provide the synchronous timing chain that drives the critical DRAM timing, with the base CAS pulse width being determined by R8 and C6.

5.) R8 and C6. Your scope's trace at 50ns/div makes the CAS pulse look a tad long, but it also looks pretty smeared; what bandwidth scope is that? CAS is supposed to be about 20ns.

6.) IC19 and/or IC20. The mux is the heart of any DRAM circuit.

The first step would be to swap RAM, and I'll be glad to send you four from my working CPU280 in exchange for those four.

Quote:

I'm not 100% sure what kind of EPROMs lowen sent me,...

I sent 27C256's that work at zero wait states.

Quote:

I've attached a picture of the mostly-completed board, but that image was taken before first powerup, so the jumpers might not be what I've described above.

I also tried to measure the /CAS pulse as the documentation suggested, using my analog scope; a picture of that is attached too. Sorry for the quality; wrong time of day and not enough hands. It looks like about 20ns, though, doesn't it? Is it clean enough? Square enough? There's also a /RAS pulse that's a bit wider than the /CAS pulse; I didn't get a picture of that one.

So... any thoughts on where I should start trying to debug this? I've poked around the DRAM refresh circuitry with both the scope and a logic probe, but I don't really know what I'm looking for. There's definitely a lot of "stuff" happening; most of the pins are changing state.

Suggestions welcome!

The German CPU280 handbuch includes a nice set of timing diagrams. It is on my to-do list to set my CPU280 up with my Saleae logic-16 analyzer and get a fresh set of waveforms from a running CPU280. I think the German CPU280 handbuch with the timing diagrams is already linked in the thread, but if you can't find it I'll put a copy on the wiki, if it isn't already there.

snhirsch_gmail.com wrote on Tue, 04 July 2017 11:40
Hi, Fritz.

How will a null-modem help towards clearing/resetting NVRAM?

With hardware handshaking, the code will block all output, including the banner that is printed prior to the memory test. The third LED won't get cleared until the memory test is complete, but it won't even start while the UART is stalled. The CPU280 code implements straight RTS/CTS handshaking; a true null modem will cross RTS/CTS as well as RXD/TXD and DTR/DSR/DCD (DTR on each end to both DSR and DCD on the other end). Without RTS/CTS crossed, you get a stalled UART. Simply connecting RTS to CTS on the CPU280 end should unstall the UART and let output proceed, which should let you rescue your DS1287 (this is what Fritz was correctly suggesting you do with a null modem).

--
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3161 is a reply to message #3160] Wed, 05 July 2017 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lowen wrote on Wed, 05 July 2017 07:31
Sorry for the delay in replying; I had a wisdom tooth extracted Friday, so I took it easy over the long weekend.....

Ouch. I hope you are feeling better now!

Quote:

Thanks for the good writeup on your experiences with the serial ports; no, they aren't 9-pin AT standard (they are actually designed to line up with a 25-pin connector's first 10 pins according to the docs).

Actually, the dual DB-9 approach as Sarah described works just fine. That's how I built my adapter, and the first port connector interfaces directly to the COM port on a PC with no fiddling.

Quote:

snhirsch_gmail.com wrote on Tue, 04 July 2017 11:40
Hi, Fritz.

How will a null-modem help towards clearing/resetting NVRAM?

With hardware handshaking, the code will block all output, including the banner that is printed prior to the memory test. The third LED won't get cleared until the memory test is complete, but it won't even start while the UART is stalled. The CPU280 code implements straight RTS/CTS handshaking; a true null modem will cross RTS/CTS as well as RXD/TXD and DTR/DSR/DCD (DTR on each end to both DSR and DCD on the other end). Without RTS/CTS crossed, you get a stalled UART. Simply connecting RTS to CTS on the CPU280 end should unstall the UART and let output proceed, which should let you rescue your DS1287 (this is what Fritz was correctly suggesting you do with a null modem).

Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification. This experience scared the daylights out of me (thought the board had dropped dead). There really needs to be a "failsafe" jumper to force the firmware back to defaults and allow graceful recovery from such mistakes. Fritz mentioned something about "User jumper", but I am not sure what that refers to. I tried shorting the first jumper at the bottom edge of the board but that didn't accomplish anything.

I now know that (a) the Pocketerm does not support hardware handshake and (b) whatever specific signaling the CPU280 expects for hardware handshake is not compatible with ProComm Plus on a PC. The only reason I even tried handshaking is because the Pocketerm drops characters very badly at 38.4k baud.
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3162 is a reply to message #3161] Wed, 05 July 2017 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If there are any other Pocketerm users on this forum, here's a quick patch to make it emit a 7FH character when the DELETE key is pressed. This takes care of both standalone and keypad keys:
--- Keyboard.spin.orig  2017-07-04 13:21:17.000000000 -0400
+++ Keyboard.spin       2017-07-04 13:22:26.000000000 -0400
@@ -535,7 +535,7 @@
                         word    $0000   '50
                         word    $0000   '51
                         word    $0027   '52             '
-                        word    $0000   '53
+                        word    $007F   '53             Delete
                         word    $005B   '54             [
                         word    $003D   '55             =
                         word    $0000   '56
@@ -565,7 +565,7 @@
                         word    $0000   '6E
                         word    $0000   '6F
                         word    $CAE0   '70     Insert  (0)
-                        word    $C9EA   '71     Delete  (.)
+                        word    $7FEA   '71     Delete  (.)
                         word    $C3E2   '72     Down    (2)
                         word    $00E5   '73             (5)
                         word    $C1E6   '74     Right   (6)

[Updated on: Wed, 05 July 2017 08:01]

Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3163 is a reply to message #3161] Wed, 05 July 2017 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
snhirsch_gmail.com wrote on Tue, 04 July 2017

There really needs to be a "failsafe" jumper to force the firmware back to defaults and allow graceful recovery from such mistakes. Fritz mentioned something about "User jumper", but I am not sure what that refers to. I tried shorting the first jumper at the bottom edge of the board but that didn't accomplish anything.

What I have writen : Otherwise in loader.280 there is the check if user jumper UJ1 is set or if the checksum changed and then -> call setup.

From the loader.280

; Pruefen, ob waehrend RAM-Test eine Taste betaetigt wurde.    ## Test if during RAM-Check a key is pressed
; Bei DEL (oder geaenderter Checksum): Setup-Menu aufrufen.    ## if DEL or changed checksum call setup-menue

iopage	boardp
	in	a,(gpi)		; User-Jumper lesen  # read user jumper
	bit	b$uj1,a
	#################
        jp	z,boots1	; UJ1 gesteckt: ins Setup gehen (Defaults!)  ## if user jumper 1 is set goto setup
        ################
	ld	hl,(ChkSum)
	in	a,(CheckLo)
	cp	l		; Low-Bytes vergleichen  #compare low-bytes
	jp	nz,BootS	; verschieden: Setup!    #different -> setup
	in	a,(CheckHi)
	cp	h		; High-Bytes vergleichen #compare high-bytes
	jp	nz,BootS	; verschieden: Setup!    #different -> setup
	inchar			; inzwischen Taste betaetigt?   # was a normal key pressed ?
	jr	c,Boot		; nein: normal booten           # no: normal boot
	cp	DEL
	jr	nz,Boot		; nur bei DEL : Setup-Menu (sonst normal)  # only if DEL is pressed -> setup menue

Jumper:
J7 to J9 are user setable jumpers read by gpi
J10 internal reset of RTC (use only when power off)

From the manual:
J6-J9 Header 2x4, FDC-Precomp and User-Jumpers
----
so Jumper 7,8,9, are User-Jumpers and J7 must be the first user-jumper.
and if J7 is set the system should restore the default setup and boot to the configure menu. You must after that replace the J7

The time we got the Reh280 we had contact to each other and little problems were solved by phone calls or visits. The manual doesn't include every little information we had worked out and even it maybe that I'm wrong as I have no REH280 available to test.

index.php?t=getfile&id=533&private=0

• Attachment: hc_2199.jpg
    (Size: 115.84KB, Downloaded 1082 times)

/*-----
fritz
-----*/

[Updated on: Wed, 05 July 2017 10:29]

Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3166 is a reply to message #3163] Wed, 05 July 2017 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fritzeflink wrote on Wed, 05 July 2017 13:00
snhirsch_gmail.com wrote on Tue, 04 July 2017

There really needs to be a "failsafe" jumper to force the firmware back to defaults...

What I have writen : Otherwise in loader.280 there is the check if user jumper UJ1 is set or if the checksum changed and then -> call setup...

Useful information; thanks Fritz! It looks like J7 is connected to data bus bit 0, and the file 'cpu280.mac' defines b$uj1 as being bit 0, so it does indeed look like the code will do this with J7 closed at boot.

EDIT: Just got an email from PCBcart that the IDE boards have been delayed a few days; they are slated to ship July 8 at this point.

--

[Updated on: Wed, 05 July 2017 11:37]

Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3167 is a reply to message #3166] Wed, 05 July 2017 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Was: searching for Jumper 7 to initialize setup Very Happy

History file for the bootloader to the CPU280
------------------------------------------
(First release V1.0 on 17.11.90)

V1.01 from 16.12.90:
- Change: between OUT / JP now IN or 4xNOP instead of NOP due
Latest Errata Sheet.
- Change: Status detection 'Startup' via J7 instead of RTC reset.
- Change: save new checksum after exiting the setup.
- [Change: Default diskette format 'Reh 3.5 "HD' (1760k),
Buffer increases up to 512 directory entries, 880 blocks.
- Change: DMA in single byte mode instead of burst mode.

V1.02 of 19.01.91:
- Expansion: The loader also now supports the new track translation
As well as the explicit header numbers from the parameter block.
- Extension: The RAM disks are not generally deleted, but rather
The possibly already existing label is examined. If the label is intact
Nothing is deleted, with up to 5 faulty bytes is asked whether
And only 5 errors are mercilessly cleansed.
- Extension: The data required for the system start will be for the most part
Has already been created in the loader and sent in a global parameter block to the
BOOT routine of the BIOS.
- Change: In addition to J7, also for RTC reset 'Startup'.
- Change: Date of RAM disk DirLabels generally version date loader.

14.06.92 (still V1.02): added english messages (conditional assembly).

V1.02a of 27 June 1994:
- Changed Initialization of MDrive Directory to 32k (1024 Entries).

V1.13 of 15 February 1995:
- Completely rearranged loader structure to make use of the modular
Device driver sources of the CP / M-3 system BIOS. Most of the BIOS
Modules are now used within the loader, too. The version number of
The loader is the same as the system release
With the matching BIOS modules.
- Added support for booting the system file CPM3.SYS from every
Existent drive, including all pseudo-disks. Expanded setup to
Allow for appropriate selection of the boot drive.
- During boot, the RAM disks are now initialized with 1024 directory
Entries each.
- In the setup menu, the I / O device names are now listed to make
Selectioniting. However, it has been noted that the CPM3.SYS file
To be loaded might contain other definitions! The device names and
Their numbering is done from the LOADER portion within the EPROM only.

V1.13 of 14 March 1995:
- Fixed a bug in the auto-configuration code for MDrive directory size.
(The bug only with more than 1 MB of RAM.Wink

Added:
The .his-files are even at https://github.com/wwarthen/CPU280/ but I had to remember. Add: V1.01 and 1.02 are in german language only
index.php?t=getfile&id=535&private=0
  • Attachment: hc_483.jpg
    (Size: 30.75KB, Downloaded 1057 times)

/*-----
fritz
-----*/

[Updated on: Wed, 05 July 2017 17:57]

Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3168 is a reply to message #3160] Wed, 05 July 2017 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sarah is currently offline  sarah
lowen wrote on Wed, 05 July 2017 07:31

Ow. Sorry to hear that. I've been to the dentist six or seven times this year, so I definitely sympathize. :-(

lowen wrote
First, great that it is together and a portion of the board is working fine (otherwise you wouldn't get any text at all). Thanks for the good writeup on your experiences with the serial ports; no, they aren't 9-pin AT standard (they are actually designed to line up with a 25-pin connector's first 10 pins according to the docs). I need to write that up better and put it on the wiki, along with a wiring diagram.....

Oh, is that what the docs were getting at? I found the wording about the 25 pin connectors a little perplexing.

lowen wrote
Current draw is good, and yes the third LED doesn't go out because the RAM test didn't pass.

The good news is that the Z280's bus is good, the system and I/O address decode is good, the lower 16 bits of the address is properly latched, the EPROMs are good, the DS12887A is good, the clocking is good, and you have good UART and LT1134 RS-232-TTL shifters.

Now, the areas that could be bad:

1.) The RAM itself. I'll be glad to swap you four more chips. This is the easiest thing to troubleshoot and is the most likely culprit.

2.) IC21 (GAL16V8-RAM). I tested this chip prior to shipping, but it's always possible that it could have lost some of its programming.

3.) IC22 (GAL16V8-CAS4). I tested this chip prior to shipping as well. IC21 and IC22 together produce the majority of the DRAM control.

4.) IC30 and IC4. Together these chips provide the synchronous timing chain that drives the critical DRAM timing, with the base CAS pulse width being determined by R8 and C6.

5.) R8 and C6. Your scope's trace at 50ns/div makes the CAS pulse look a tad long, but it also looks pretty smeared; what bandwidth scope is that? CAS is supposed to be about 20ns.

6.) IC19 and/or IC20. The mux is the heart of any DRAM circuit.

The first step would be to swap RAM, and I'll be glad to send you four from my working CPU280 in exchange for those four.

I'll take you up on that RAM swap offer if necessary, but let me poke around a little bit first. I'm hoping it's going to turn out to be something relatively simple, like a bad joint/bad socket/etc.

The bandwidth on the scope is advertised as 100MHz, but I rarely use it for high speeds so I can't really say how good it is for high speed work. I can probably get a better image of that pulse with a little more attention to detail. Sadly I don't have a logic analyzer available at the moment. Hmm, come to think of it, my first try at capturing that pulse was much more square than the current image; but after going off to find the iPad to take a picture, and some more random poking around looking at other signals, by the time I was ready to take the picture and got back to the CAS pulse, that's what it looked like. More likely poor technique on my part than any sort of electrical issue.

How critical is the over/under on the width of that pulse? The data sheet for the RAM said that CAS needed to be something like 13ns-10,000ns... but I have no idea how the width of the CAS pulse will affect the rest of the circuit. I thought about trying to replace my 120pf C6 with 100pf, or maybe 82pf, just to see what might happen, but figured I should get some feedback and do some more careful checking before I start ripping apart the board...

I'll see if I can find the German version of the docs with the timing diagram. A copy on the wiki would also be nice at some point.

I'll fiddle with the board some more when I get a chance and let you know what I discover.

Thanks for the help!

Sarah
Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3169 is a reply to message #3168] Wed, 05 July 2017 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just uploaded the German version to the media section of the CPU280 page on the wiki here. Look on PDF page 22.

Let me know if you want to swap chips, and we'll get that going.

--

[Updated on: Wed, 05 July 2017 12:41]

Re: Interested in a Z280 SBC [message #3170 is a reply to message #3168] Wed, 05 July 2017 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Diagramm added from the german manual

You only need to load the added picture I believe.

This please added:
Maybe lamar can add (and rename) this picture to the wiki so we have not to search.
  • Attachment: hc_484.jpg
    (Size: 258.39KB, Downloaded 300 times)

/*-----
fritz
-----*/

[Updated on: Wed, 05 July 2017 13:35]

Previous Topic: New TI Project
Next Topic: Z180 upd7220 GDC SBC

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:18:15 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02156 seconds