RetroBrew Computers Forum
Discussion forum for the RetroBrew Computers community.

Home » RBC Forums » General Discussion » Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in (Let's discuss how things have gone for the last 6 months, and where we are going.)
icon14.gif  Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #512] Sat, 16 April 2016 12:18 Go to next message
Andrew B is currently offline  Andrew B
Administrator
All,

It's been about 6 months since we transitioned over to the new domain/forum.

I'd like to have an open discussion on how things are going, comments/thoughts/requests people might have, and things we might do in the future.

Any comments at all are welcome, I myself am wondering about the following things:
  1. Splitting the forum into multiple sub-forums - does this make sense and what sections would we have? We are just passing 1 page of topics, so now is the time if we want to do this. Maybe 'new board development' and 'existing board support/discussion', with 1 topic per board to keep things more organized? I don't know. Or we could stick with one running forum, similar to the way the legacy Google Group web interface worked
  2. Adding new sections to the Wiki - I think we should have a place to collect obscure datasheets, references, general links, etc beyond the user folder areas. Would a 'Tools, Tips & References' section be useful for collecting non-board-or-bus-specific information?
  3. Moving the forum software to phpBB or Discourse - this would be a bunch of work on my end to move the existing messages and user accounts over, but it turns out that this FUDForum software - while it has a nice simple user interface - is not under super active development right now and is probably unlikely to be revived in a big way. For the long term health/stability of the group, it might be good to migrate over to a more popular forum software.
  4. Creating an RBC Logo - it would be fun to have a logo that we could use to 'brand' the Wiki and the Forum a little bit more consistently. Ideally something in a vector graphic format that can also be represented as a browser-tab icon.
  5. Bringing the legacy discussion group messages into 'archive' sub-forums within the forum software - I've experimented with a script that processes the email archive from the old mailing lists and brings them into a pretty well threaded version in FUDForum. If people thought that was a useful way to view the old messages (as opposed to the HTML pages/Google Custom Search) I could explore bringing them in (note this plays into #2 above a bit as well, since the import feature being used is a FUDForum feature)
Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #513 is a reply to message #512] Sat, 16 April 2016 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will is currently offline  will
Andrew

Firstly, THANK YOU for everything you have done!

My thoughts on the forum: I think the current forum software is fine. I don't feel there's enough volume to require dividing it up. It's nice to have only one place to look to find discussions. If the forum were split into separate sub-forums there would be multiple places to look, I fear some would end up neglected.

Overall I have to say I miss reading the group messages as emails in my email client, although the ability to embed images in the web forum is useful.

The new Wiki software is an improvement I think. The additional section you propose sounds like a good idea.

Thanks again

Will

[Updated on: Sun, 17 April 2016 02:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #514 is a reply to message #512] Sat, 16 April 2016 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ab0tj is currently offline  ab0tj
I agree on the extra Wiki section to collect odds and ends. It could definitely come in handy for folks.
Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #558 is a reply to message #514] Sat, 23 April 2016 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garth is currently offline  Garth
I have been on many related forums, and am a moderator of four, administrator of two.

My main one is the 6502.org forum. The way Mike Naberezny has laid it out seems just about ideal. He had the forum on Delphi in the early years (and I was on it), and apparently Delphi was gradually making things more and more difficult to run it the way he wanted, so he migrated over to the phpBB forum on his own 6502.org site and transferred all the archives. (He had to write some sort of program to do that, as Delphi would not help.) The fact that he wasn't starting cold probably gave a better understanding of what he might want to do with phpBB. Based on forum traffic observation, I did recommend adding the Forth section, the Newbies section, and maybe one or two of the others. I can't remember for sure.

I am also on the Brad's Projects forum. That one has way too many categories on the front page, and you have to scroll and scroll to check it all.

The 6502 is possibly the most-documented processor in history, and since there wasn't such support for Z80 and others, people interested in these started getting on 6502.org hoping to capitalize. One fellow who thought he could do this said in his first post, "After all, anything but x86, right?" I had to explain that no, that's not the way it works, and we need to keep a sharp focus on 6502 here, partly because there are quite a few valuable members who want it that way and would leave otherwise. With a sprinkling of these other processors, it made sense to start the AnyCPU forum, a sister forum, for other processors including ones the members themselves are designing. The aim was somewhat different, and to avoid the super long front page length that Brad's Projects has, Dajgoro laid out categories, and subcategories within categories. (I can't deny guilt, as I kind of helped.) This turned out to be both good and bad. You might save time not having to look at so much of the stuff you're not interested in, but it's harder to navigate. By the time it became clear that that really wasn't the way to do it, there were enough posts that it would have been a huge amount of work to change it and move topics into the right places.

Some categorization seems almost imperative. I'm on the 6502ag Yahoo group, and it's a little more difficult, due to the lack of categorization. (At this point it hardly matters though, as there's so little traffic. It was nearly killed by spammers years ago, and never really recovered; but that's a different matter. You won't find anything charming in what I think ought to be done to spammers!) The worst for finding things is of course something like the 6502 Programming facebook group, because besides not having categories, it's not searchable. It also does not allow italics, bold, underline, quote blocks, hypertext links, inlined pictures, code formatting, etc..

My own interest in this forum which someone recently linked to on 6502.org is in the implementation of simpler computing hardware and philosophies without needing to be strongly connected to a particular microprocessor family or computer brand (Atari, Apple, Commodore, TRS-80, etc.) or to games. (I am definitely not a games person!) There are some essays and articles I like to point to, and which I have linked in the philosophy section of my links page on my site:

I'm always striving to improve the efficiency, techniques, organization, clarity, usefulness, and performance of small computers and their software that a single person can get a good handle on, rather that going for impenetrable loads of software layers and then "fixing" the inefficiencies by just throwing GHz and MB at the problem.

http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources

[Updated on: Mon, 22 August 2016 01:31]

Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #570 is a reply to message #558] Mon, 25 April 2016 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
biged is currently offline  biged
For my part, I'd recommend not adding any categories until you need them - but do be sure your forum software allows you to move posts around when you change the organisation. Always keep a catch-all category, then you don't have to struggle to find sufficient non-overlapping subforums to suit everything.

(I help with 6502.org and anycpu.org, also moderate some G+ communities.)

[Updated on: Mon, 25 April 2016 13:31]

Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #670 is a reply to message #512] Tue, 10 May 2016 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nealcrook is currently offline  nealcrook
Andrew,
thanks for your work in getting the forum and WIKI up and running. IMO, importing the old material into a a forum is not particularly useful. What *would* be useful would be to mine that old material and generate curated/edited/condensed content from it. This would obviously be a manual process and I don't know how practical it is (really, you need a way of tagging old material post-by-post to show that it has been subsumed into the new wiki/forum.

Neal.
Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #680 is a reply to message #670] Tue, 10 May 2016 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
I've been going board by board through the old wiki pages and making sure we have "information parity" with the old wiki for those boards in a semi-consistent way. It's a bit time consuming and sometimes I'd rather work on actual hardware projects than just move stuff around on the wiki.
Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #1056 is a reply to message #680] Mon, 22 August 2016 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JonB is currently offline  JonB
Definitely add categories for posts. We are all familiar with how they work, and a forum "show posts since last visit" feature gets round the problem of thread neglect.

As a start, why not consider partial replication the breakdown of the WIKI subjects? Something like:

- General discussion
- Boards
  - ecb
  - isa
  - other
  - s100
  - sbc
- Software
  - Applications
  - Firmware / OS
- Off topic

[Updated on: Mon, 22 August 2016 01:17]

Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #1060 is a reply to message #512] Mon, 22 August 2016 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
I've been a little hesitant to break it up since we have so few posts compared to a lot of other forums.

Another forum that I try to read *coughVCFcough* has gone the direction of adding a new forum every time someone asks for it, and it's very hard to keep track of what's going on because there are 2.5 pages of different forums to scroll through (some of which have had no posts in the last two years). Threads about the XT-IDE and it's Universal BIOS, for example, show up in about 4 different sub-forums.

Here have a LOT of Multicomp related discussion compared to 'Everything Else' so if I was going to split off a topic for the purposes of organization at this point, it would be to create a separate Multicomp forum.
Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #1064 is a reply to message #1060] Mon, 22 August 2016 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JonB is currently offline  JonB
Yeah, VCF is a bit full on but after a while you just go to the interesting ones (interesting to you that is). Which are CP/M, Commodore and Tandy in my case.

You got a frog in your throat there, Andrew? ;)

[Updated on: Mon, 22 August 2016 12:33]

Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #1070 is a reply to message #1064] Sun, 28 August 2016 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
opticpow is currently offline  opticpow
Hi All,

I'm a returning builder after somewhat of a hiatus. Maybe a bit of a different perspective of someone looking for information log after it has been posted, having some separate categories would be helpful. I wouldn't go too far as I can see the point others are making about too many forums, but a few major areas might be useful. Maybe just based on the bus or something so that ISA / XT, ECB, S100 etc can be found easily.

Wayne.
Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #1132 is a reply to message #1070] Wed, 14 September 2016 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
positron is currently offline  positron
Andrew, I see a renewed interest from many users in breaking down the structure with more categories... remember the failed Multicomp segregation vote (multexit ?Wink Maybe it's time for another broader poll...

Cheers, positron.
Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #1133 is a reply to message #1132] Wed, 14 September 2016 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
biged is currently offline  biged
I'd advise against setting up complex sub-categories: make the smallest necessary changes each time.

I'm not sure about the perceived issue of lots of MultiComp posts - I'd look at the relative volume and consider if it's really a problem.
Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #1134 is a reply to message #1133] Wed, 14 September 2016 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi biged ! I'm one of the Multicomp spammers... it shouldn't be considered a "problem", but a "feature" Razz
I agree that the category tree should be maintained as small as possible, maybe by processor families/architectures and one for FPGAs; not by board, in my opinion.

Cheers, positron.
Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #1135 is a reply to message #1132] Wed, 14 September 2016 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will is currently offline  will
I don't understand the desire to break up the forum into separate categories.

There were only 12 new threads created in the last two months. Only 20 threads received any posts in the last two months. It's hardly unmanageable to keep it all in one forum.

Breaking it up just gives everyone more than one place to check for new or updated threads.

Maybe it would be justified if the volume increases dramatically, or threads on one subject start to drown out other subjects, but that isn't happening yet.

Incidentally my personal preference would be for us to switch back to email, using a mailman-managed mailing list. When we used email I could read it on my vt510, from a retro machine, this ability was sadly lost with the switch to the web forum. But I'm happy enough with the current situation and, essentially, just grateful that such a forum exists at all.
Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #1143 is a reply to message #1135] Fri, 16 September 2016 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will, it depends on the use case; I think every forum member opinion is valuable. For example, if you only use the forum to cassually browse posts, it's current structure is ok. But if you actively participate in various community projects, and use the forum as a reference for specific tips and troubleshooting bits, it becomes difficult to find what you need after several months or even weeks, so it starts to be useful to have some kind of categorization. Also for future archiving purposes.

Cheers, positron.
Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #1145 is a reply to message #1135] Fri, 16 September 2016 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will wrote on Wed, 14 September 2016 15:02
I don't understand the desire to break up the forum into separate categories.

There were only 12 new threads created in the last two months. Only 20 threads received any posts in the last two months. It's hardly unmanageable to keep it all in one forum.

Breaking it up just gives everyone more than one place to check for new or updated threads.

Maybe it would be justified if the volume increases dramatically, or threads on one subject start to drown out other subjects, but that isn't happening yet.

Incidentally my personal preference would be for us to switch back to email, using a mailman-managed mailing list. When we used email I could read it on my vt510, from a retro machine, this ability was sadly lost with the switch to the web forum. But I'm happy enough with the current situation and, essentially, just grateful that such a forum exists at all.

One of the forums I'm on is the "museum" (poor name) of Hewlett-Packard calculators (MoHPC) at http://hpmuseum.org/forum/ . Before they started using phpBB, everything was mixed, and they discussed a lot of things I wasn't interested in. When the HP Prime came out, a calculator with a lot of wrong design choices IMO, there were suddenly a lot of posts about it every day, making it harder to find the stuff I was interested in. Soon after, they went to a phpBB format and put the Prime in its own category so those of us who have no interest in it don't have to be bothered with it. Of the 12 categories you'll see on the front page, there are only three that I check. It makes it easier.

The RBC forum front page now for me has an awful lot of red books (or whatever that little icon is) down the left edge for topics with new posts I haven't read, either because I'm not interested, or I am and there's a new post. Which one is it? I have to read every single topic title every time. I don't see any way to mark all topics as read.

Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #1156 is a reply to message #1145] Mon, 19 September 2016 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tor is currently offline  tor
Garth wrote on Fri, 16 September 2016 17:25
I don't see any way to mark all topics as read.
I haven't tried, but presumably that would be the 'mark all messages read' link at the forum front page (to the right, below the section with 'Useful Links/Other Forums'Wink
Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #1157 is a reply to message #1156] Mon, 19 September 2016 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tor wrote on Mon, 19 September 2016 03:14
Garth wrote on Fri, 16 September 2016 17:25
I don't see any way to mark all topics as read.
I haven't tried, but presumably that would be the 'mark all messages read' link at the forum front page (to the right, below the section with 'Useful Links/Other Forums'Wink

Thanks. Found it--although there's nowhere on the page that says "Useful Links/Other Forums" (confirmed with a <Ctrl>F search for even the individual words). Here's a cropped screenshot showing the bottom of the screen. I don't know if everyone sees it the same. Hmmm... strange. In the preview, it shows up a little bigger than actual size, so I have to scroll left-right to see it all.

index.php?t=getfile&id=175&private=0

Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #1159 is a reply to message #1157] Wed, 21 September 2016 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tor is currently offline  tor
Garth wrote on Mon, 19 September 2016 09:35

Thanks. Found it--although there's nowhere on the page that says "Useful Links/Other Forums"
It's on the front page, not under General Discussions. You'll see the other links when you click e.g. 'Home' or 'RBC Forums'.
Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #2226 is a reply to message #1159] Mon, 03 April 2017 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plasmo is currently offline  plasmo
I'm new to wiki creation so this may not be a bug, but my incorrect way of creating wiki page.
I'm having problem with broken link on my wiki page:
1. upload a picture (must be jpg file, pdf & txt files have no such problem) using media manager; create a page and link to the picture with "internal media" link. Save.
2. display the page and click on the picture link. It works fine.
3. edit the page, altering just the text, not the link, save.
4. display the page, click on the picture link, it works fine.
5. edit the page again, altering just text, not touching the link, save once again.
6. display the page, click on the link, it still works.
7. edit the page the third time, altering just text, not the link, save the third time.
8. display the page, click on the link, it is not broken! The message displayed is: "Precondition Failed"

I noticed every time I save, the picture link grows longer. at creation it is:
https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=b uilderpages:plasmo:tiny020:dsc_21910207.jpg
After the first save, it is:
https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/lib/exe/fetch.php?tok=628 d32&media=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.retrobrewcomputers.org%2Flib %2Fexe%2Ffetch.php%3Fmedia%3Dbuilderpages%3Aplasmo%3Atiny020 %3Adsc_21910207.jpg
After the 2nd save, it is:
https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/lib/exe/fetch.php?tok=dc8 758&media=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.retrobrewcomputers.org%2Flib %2Fexe%2Ffetch.php%3Ftok%3D628d32%26media%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fww w.retrobrewcomputers.org%2Flib%2Fexe%2Ffetch.php%3Fmedia%3Db uilderpages%3Aplasmo%3Atiny020%3Adsc_21910207.jpg
After the third save when it has broken link, it is:
https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/lib/exe/fetch.php?tok=5d4 24e&media=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.retrobrewcomputers.org%2Flib %2Fexe%2Ffetch.php%3Ftok%3Ddc8758%26media%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fww w.retrobrewcomputers.org%2Flib%2Fexe%2Ffetch.php%3Ftok%3D628 d32%26media%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.retrobrewcomputers.org%2Flib %2Fexe%2Ffetch.php%3Fmedia%3Dbuilderpages%3Aplasmo%3Atiny020 %3Adsc_21910207.jpg

Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #3988 is a reply to message #512] Thu, 21 December 2017 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikemac is currently offline  mikemac
Has the forum SW been updated lately? It's no longer highlighting threads with unread posts for me and the quick post message box at the bottom of the thread page isn't there anymore.

I can live without the quick post box but not having unread threads marked in red is a pain.

Mike
Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #3989 is a reply to message #3988] Thu, 21 December 2017 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikemac is currently offline  mikemac
And as soon as I posted the question, a dozen threads turned red! Argh!!

Mike
Re: Forum/Wiki Feedback - 6 months in [message #7338 is a reply to message #3989] Fri, 27 March 2020 17:57 Go to previous message
rpiguy2 is currently offline  rpiguy2
New member observations here:

- I generally agree new posts are so rare here that subtopic forums are not necessary with the current focus on active projects
- The only reason I can think of for creating subtopics would be to discuss other topics very dissimilar to active projects

Suggestions:

- Add a Wanted topic for people seeking spare parts to complete a built

For example, I bought a large lot of ICs a long time ago, most of which I will never use and would be happy to share for cost of postage. In this way forum members could help other forum members complete their projects.

I was also thinking of a For Sale topic, but I don't know if you want to turn this into a marketplace. You will get a lot of people signing up just to buy and sell. I was just thinking about this today as I noticed several project threads included kits or PCBs that members could buy.

[Updated on: Fri, 27 March 2020 17:58]

Previous Topic: Forum FAQs (Legacy Google Group/PBWiki Info Here!)
Next Topic: Running Admin Notes Thread (Service Status, Planned Maintenance, Admin E-Mail response time, etc)

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:17:27 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00982 seconds