RetroBrew Computers Forum
Discussion forum for the RetroBrew Computers community.

Home » RBC Forums » General Discussion » MSX2 Compatible Computer Project
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7680 is a reply to message #7673] Wed, 20 May 2020 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jdgabbard is currently offline  jdgabbard
jordi.solis wrote on Tue, 19 May 2020 06:59
jdgabbard wrote on Tue, 19 May 2020 06:32

Creator of the G80-S Micro Computer and 'Porter' of TinyBASIC 2.5g
Hi,
another issue.
Is there possible to compile the tinyBASIC for MSX and load it once C-BIOS started?
I know that N8 Home computer is not an MSX standard computer but he has C-BIOS and BASIC, It could be possible to do anything similar with the OMEGA HOME COMPUTER, when using a c-bios firmware?

let me know.
regards.

It's very possible. Though TB 2.5g (my custom version of TB) is much less feature rich as MSX Basic. Given the capabilities of what the MSX has already, I'm not sure why you'd want to, unless it was to have more user space available. But even then, with the extra routines you'd need to make it useful to the MSX, you probably wouldn't gain much user space once you factored in the way you program TB versus MSX basic.

Doug Gabbard
z80 TinyBASIC 2.5g: http://retrodepot.net/?p=424
AtariAge Username: jdgabbard
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7681 is a reply to message #7672] Wed, 20 May 2020 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jordi.solis wrote on Tue, 19 May 2020 06:53
jdgabbard wrote on Tue, 19 May 2020 06:32
oard down to all of the pieces (to align it), then making small tacks with some spare filament and a dedicated soldering iron tip. Once these tacks are in place you can either weld it with a 3d pen, or use epoxy. Then sand smooth, primer, and paint.
Of course to me, this sounds more aligned, beauty result and clear plan. we can also my do my suggestion leaving more slack between the pieces, to permit alignment, then glue, sand and paint.
Regards.
I don't normally add space between the parts, just sand them down to fit properly. But it can be done. I also sent to chamfer the edges with a 0.75mm edge to get a good weld. It's a lot like welding steel. It gives you a good strong bead that you can sand down flush with careful work of a Drexel.

Doug Gabbard
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7685 is a reply to message #7680] Sat, 23 May 2020 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jordi.solis is currently offline  jordi.solis
[quote title=jdgabbard wrote on Wed, 20 May 2020 22:08][quote title=jordi.solis wrote on Tue, 19 May 2020 06:59]jdgabbard wrote on Tue, 19 May 2020 06:32

It's very possible. Though TB 2.5g (my custom version of TB) is much less feature rich as MSX Basic. Given the capabilities of what the MSX has already, I'm not sure why you'd want to, unless it was to have more user space available. But even then, with the extra routines you'd need to make it useful to the MSX, you probably wouldn't gain much user space once you factored in the way you program TB versus MSX basic.
my only purpose was to have anything useful to start with c-bios and also for testing purposes. I have not any game cartridge, and for any reason I cannot start nextor on my Rookie Drive with c-bios.
I'm thinking on someone who has c-bios working but not MSXBIOS and he can run some out/poke comands.

What I should do to have it? just compile-link and add the file to the current firmware?

PS: use MSXBASIC cannot be legal at all and some like me bet for GPL as much as we can. Cool Cool
regards
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7686 is a reply to message #7685] Sat, 23 May 2020 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If someone want to know it I added an F4/FMPAC to my Omega computer and now some games sound actually nice.
As I would like to save the cartridge slots I didn't added the eprom chip to this board and just added the binary file to the current OMEGA firmware.
It just need to connect +-12v power source to JP1 on FMPAC board, and AMP/GND connection to pin 2,4 of U48 in the Omega motherboard.
Now Aleste sounds fantastic but a little bit low.
I will try to decrease the value for resistor R4 on the FMPAC board and let you know (I discovered the schematic shows 4k7 but the silkscreen 2k2)

regads
J S
https://msxmakersdesign.files.wordpress.com/2020/05/img_20200520_1846572.jpg
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7687 is a reply to message #7686] Sat, 23 May 2020 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hope someone can help me.
I don't have a PAL monitor (neither a NTSC one).
At the beginning I tested the Omega with NTSC configuration and a composite to SCART cable connected to a standard LED TV.
Then I changed the configuration on the board and tested it with PAL, but nothing was displayed on TV.
After that I knowed that the RGB connection was actually better image and built a cable from DIN-8 to SCART.
Then I was able to display images even if PAL or NTSC configuration was implemented.
following the Sergey instructions some components must be removed, replaced and some jumpers must be swapped.
Ok,
Now I would like to know how it works in deep, because even if I left JP3-JP4 in any possition, even if I left all the components like Y3 installed, and even if left R9 and C91 in old values, I can display images everytime on my TV and just the BIOS kind switches what is the working speed.
With a PAL bios some games like IKARI are shown wrong and some like Aleste are slow even playing music.
Does it mean the PAL circuit of my Omega runs as should but I don't have a PAL TV or maybe anything connected to RGB is not "PAL".
To leave my building instructions as clear as possible I would prefer everyone soldering all the components what don't disturb.
regards
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7706 is a reply to message #7668] Mon, 25 May 2020 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ls120nz is currently offline  ls120nz
how goes the case ?? any more pic's ?? thanks for your work on it..

Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7717 is a reply to message #7687] Wed, 27 May 2020 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sergey is currently offline  Sergey
jordi.solis wrote on Sat, 23 May 2020 04:47

With a PAL bios some games like IKARI are shown wrong and some like Aleste are slow even playing music.
Does it mean the PAL circuit of my Omega runs as should but I don't have a PAL TV or maybe anything connected to RGB is not "PAL".
PAL BIOS configures VDP for 50 Hz refresh rate, while NTSC BIOS configures VDP for 60 Hz. This happens regardless of JP5 and JP6 jumper settings. These jumpers only switch the timing and the video output standard for the CXA1645 encoder, and I think they only impact the S-Video and composite video, not the RGB. (By the way, you wrote JP3 and JP4. I assume it is a mistake. These jumpers have nothing to do with PAL or NTSC. They select between V9938 and V9958 and must match the VDP, or bad things will happen).
On each screen refresh VDP generates an interrupt, and that interrupt is commonly used for synchronization. So if you run a game designed to work with 60 Hz NTSC system, it will appear to be sluggish on 50 Hz PAL system. And vice versa, if you run PAL game on NTSC, it will appear to run faster.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 May 2020 14:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7719 is a reply to message #7687] Thu, 28 May 2020 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bifo is currently offline  bifo
jordi.solis wrote on Sat, 23 May 2020 04:47
I hope someone can help me.
I don't have a PAL monitor (neither a NTSC one).
At the beginning I tested the Omega with NTSC configuration and a composite to SCART cable connected to a standard LED TV.
Then I changed the configuration on the board and tested it with PAL, but nothing was displayed on TV.
After that I knowed that the RGB connection was actually better image and built a cable from DIN-8 to SCART.
Then I was able to display images even if PAL or NTSC configuration was implemented.
following the Sergey instructions some components must be removed, replaced and some jumpers must be swapped.
Ok,
Now I would like to know how it works in deep, because even if I left JP3-JP4 in any possition, even if I left all the components like Y3 installed, and even if left R9 and C91 in old values, I can display images everytime on my TV and just the BIOS kind switches what is the working speed.
To leave my building instructions as clear as possible I would prefer everyone soldering all the components what don't disturb.
regards
I know that the little LCD screen I purchased a while ago for project work with composite input is auto-switching between PAL and NTSC frequencies, it's possible that the screen you're using isn't one that switches automatically? Or if the game's programming relies on timing from the NTSC side of things and setting the timing to PAL causes it to stumble, since they're both japanese (NTSC) games.
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7721 is a reply to message #7719] Thu, 28 May 2020 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Question/suggestion for Jordi: which chip is superior, the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YM2608 or the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YMF278 from moonsound? The through-hole version of the YMF278 lost functionality, where on the YMF288 version of the YM2608 lost functionality, and the YM version is 64-pin through hole. It requires a support chip in the design, but I am not remotely knowledgeable enough to design anything with it. I'm also not sure whether they share similar address requirements and I don't know if the YM2608 could drop in as a replacement on a Moonsound clone, but i would think it would just require some slight re-routing in programming. Sort of like using a Roland D-110 in place of an MT-32.

Again, I have no idea of the complexity of this, but I do know that YM2608s are probably the most impressive chips of that era and they are through-hole 64-dip. Only a suggestion, since it's incredibly difficult to build a Moonsound at home.
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7746 is a reply to message #7717] Thu, 04 June 2020 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sergey wrote on Wed, 27 May 2020 23:50

PAL BIOS configures VDP for 50 Hz refresh rate, while NTSC BIOS configures VDP for 60 Hz. This happens regardless of JP5 and JP6 jumper settings. These jumpers only switch the timing and the video output standard for the CXA1645 encoder, and I think they only impact the S-Video and composite video, not the RGB. (By the way, you wrote JP3 and JP4. I assume it is a mistake. These jumpers have nothing to do with PAL or NTSC. They select between V9938 and V9958 and must match the VDP, or bad things will happen).
On each screen refresh VDP generates an interrupt, and that interrupt is commonly used for synchronization. So if you run a game designed to work with 60 Hz NTSC system, it will appear to be sluggish on 50 Hz PAL system. And vice versa, if you run PAL game on NTSC, it will appear to run faster.
Thanks for your answer.
For some reason I have stopped receiving response notifications to this forum in my email account, so until today I did not know that you responded to me.
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7747 is a reply to message #7719] Thu, 04 June 2020 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=bifo wrote on Thu, 28 May 2020 11:16]jordi.solis wrote on Sat, 23 May 2020 04:47

bifo wrote on Thu, 28 May 2020 11:16

I know that the little LCD screen I purchased a while ago for project work with composite input is auto-switching between PAL and NTSC frequencies, it's possible that the screen you're using isn't one that switches automatically? Or if the game's programming relies on timing from the NTSC side of things and setting the timing to PAL causes it to stumble, since they're both japanese (NTSC) games.
Thanks bifo
This problem is solved. Currently if I configure OMEGA for PAL it already works emitting video through the composite video output.
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7749 is a reply to message #7721] Thu, 04 June 2020 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bifo wrote on Thu, 28 May 2020 11:58
Question/suggestion for Jordi: which chip is superior, the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YM2608 or the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YMF278 from moonsound? ...
I am not an expert in this matter, but from what I have asked, and according to the specification, the opl4 is much higher. It has twice as many fm channels and it also has 24 pcm / wave channels. In fact opl3 is also better than that 2608.

I have only managed to successfully operate the FMPAC in OMEGA, so I am happy.

When I have time I will work on giving my MSX better sound alternatives. When I have any progress I will let you know but this is long term.
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7750 is a reply to message #7749] Thu, 04 June 2020 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://Hi,
I made my first design for the O4MEGA (Omega 4Mb expansion).
I think is not what would Sergey suggested but it would be easy to modify (as far as I understood what kind of connector you will put on to your motherboard).
I will share it on my github as soon as I can.
here you are a picture
I also successfully added F4/FMPAC to my OMEGA, Aleste sounds now actually nice.
https:// www.instagram.com/p/CA93MrhHz37/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
regards.
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7751 is a reply to message #7686] Thu, 04 June 2020 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jordi.solis wrote on Sat, 23 May 2020 13:19

I will try to decrease the value for resistor R4 on the FMPAC board and let you know (I discovered the schematic shows 4k7 but the silkscreen 2k2)

regads
J S
680 ohms to 1K would be nice on R4. Better than 2k2 original value
J. S.
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7752 is a reply to message #7751] Thu, 04 June 2020 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here a nice computer 3d case.
Perhaps any of you can take advantage from this...
https:// www.thingiverse.com/thing:4303511?fbclid=IwAR1nGShqrjLCFMfez syz1S0WJQ8LDQQuGPJo3WN4As9EZBDHcLGWwl-Fx-g
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7781 is a reply to message #7752] Thu, 11 June 2020 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would like to know what is the purpose for the 3 trimcaps. I checked at the schematic their function and all them are connected to a crystal so, Are they maybe to adjust a bit the frequence value.
I just soldered them in any value and everything is working.
A college lost them and tried without them installed. it was successfully working to (at least through RGB connection).
can anyone confirm its use?

regards.
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7782 is a reply to message #7781] Thu, 11 June 2020 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rodneyj is currently offline  rodneyj
This is mentioned in the BOM list,

Note: Can be replaced with Mouser 810-FG28C0G2A270JNT0 if color subcarrier frequency tunning is not required.

Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7784 is a reply to message #7782] Fri, 12 June 2020 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you rodneyj,
Sorry for my ignorance but there are 3 trimcaps, is the carrier adjusted on the PAL frequency, and also on the main frequency (which I assume is the NTSC frequency in addition to being the system clock)?
What about the capacitor in the RTC, also the RTC has a carrier?
I thought the carrier signal was something associated with video signals.

I am not understanding video signals, what effect will I see by adjusting the carrier, maybe better video quality?

Cheers.
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7788 is a reply to message #7784] Sun, 14 June 2020 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rodneyj is currently offline  rodneyj
Hi Jordi,

looking at the schematic, each of the trimcaps appear to provide adjustments for each of the oscillator circuits. C89 relating to the oscillator for the V9938/V9958 (which the V9958 outputs for the system clock & NTSC clock as you've said), C90 for the PAL oscillator, depending on the PAL/NTSC build option this oscillator feeds into the CXA1645 pin 6, the subcarrier input.

C88 appears to be related to the onbaord RTC (as you already mentioned) and has nothing to do with the subcarrier.

My understanding the cxa1645 really only buffers the RGB signal and only the sync will be affected by the subcarrier frequency, so may be the impact on the RGB output is very little.

regards
Rodney.

Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7817 is a reply to message #7750] Fri, 19 June 2020 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ls120nz is currently offline  ls120nz
any info on the f4 etc... fix and ram upgrade?
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7819 is a reply to message #7817] Fri, 19 June 2020 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
I have the current design of the ram upgrade here:
https://github.com/msx-solis/O4MEGA
it's just few ram chips and a 74HCT08.
about the F4/FMPAC you will find all the infomation here:
https://github.com/RBSC/F4-FMPAC
if you plan to use it with the OMEGA, you don't need to use the eeprom chip, you don't need to use JP1 and JP4, so you don't need to spend an MSX slot on it, just add the FMPAC rom to your SST39SF040, and connect the +-12 imput and amp/gnd to pins 2&4 pins of U48.
to convine O4MEGA and FMPAC upgrades you need to use smd capacitors on C1, C2 and C3.
enjoy it.
If you like I have few boards available.
Regards.
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7827 is a reply to message #7819] Sat, 20 June 2020 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
I have an omega with Black screen (a college close to me).
We are trying all what we know to find the issue.
We fount that with C-BIOS ROMS the computer beep several times. Anyone knows what does it mean?

I will appreciate if someone helps me with the answer or better with a link with the solution.
regards.
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7830 is a reply to message #7827] Sun, 21 June 2020 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, it was not a beep but a noise produced by a broken Z80.
C-bios produces no beeps, it can show a light blue on screen even without RAM, RP5C01, ... even without VRAM chips it will show the blue background
Thanks anyway
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7853 is a reply to message #7830] Tue, 07 July 2020 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all,
Some people here reported problems with few cartridge games and the Omega home computer.
Would anyone confirm any of those games are working with its Omega (only cartridge version)?
It seems that is focused on 32K games because most of 16K and megarom are working.

The Goonies: screen with few green lines, then reboot. Once and again, and again...
Knightmare: the game starts but all graphics and tiles are wrong.
roller ball (de halm 16KB): starts directly to msBASIC.
raid on bungelin bay (de sony, 32KB): a half of the screen on blue and the other black.
Pacman: black screen.

Kind regards.
J.S. MSXmakers
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7854 is a reply to message #7853] Tue, 07 July 2020 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry,

PACMAN: White screen (the game always begin with a white screen).

Regards.
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7863 is a reply to message #7853] Thu, 09 July 2020 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jordi.solis wrote on Tue, 07 July 2020 04:22
Hi all,
Some people here reported problems with few cartridge games and the Omega home computer.
Would anyone confirm any of those games are working with its Omega (only cartridge version)?
It seems that is focused on 32K games because most of 16K and megarom are working.

The Goonies: screen with few green lines, then reboot. Once and again, and again...
Knightmare: the game starts but all graphics and tiles are wrong.
roller ball (de halm 16KB): starts directly to msBASIC.
raid on bungelin bay (de sony, 32KB): a half of the screen on blue and the other black.
Pacman: black screen.

Kind regards.
J.S. MSXmakers
Does anyone still have a stock of MSX EPROM cartridge boards left? They're in the board inventory but nobody is listed as a contact. I still haven't finished building my omega (life, etc) but I have a tl866 and a UV eraser and I figured I'd build one or two cartridges at some point anyway. I could test on my NTSC MSX2 and then on my omega once it's completed to compare.
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7864 is a reply to message #7863] Fri, 10 July 2020 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi All,
I have fixed the problem.
There was a bug on the slot dir gal code.
The new code can be downloaded from ow is corrected on the Sergey's github.

About the cartridge board, it was an old design with sources lost.
hopefuly I needed to build a cartridge to test the above problem and it was actually easy to use one of the msx-pi boards (I have some available) to build the cartridge. It's not actually cute because the ROM chip in on the back. I will modify this kicad to get a 32k cartridge soon.
I will let you know when I got it.

Regards.
msxmakers.com
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7872 is a reply to message #7819] Tue, 14 July 2020 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
borutk is currently offline  borutk
Jordi,

Your O4MEGA ram expansion module is nice idea but the board is interfering with one of the
keyboard supports. Could you modify it so it would have a hole in the correct place?

Best regards,
Bo/

[Updated on: Tue, 14 July 2020 13:48]

Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7876 is a reply to message #7864] Wed, 15 July 2020 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sergey is currently offline  Sergey
jordi.solis wrote on Fri, 10 July 2020 08:20
Hi All,
I have fixed the problem.
There was a bug on the slot dir gal code.
The new code can be downloaded from ow is corrected on the Sergey's github.

Jordi, thanks for finding and fixing this issue/typo.

Everyone who have built an Omega, please reflash your U14 / Slot Direction SPLD. The updated fuse map is in the GitHub repo here

-SK

[Updated on: Wed, 15 July 2020 08:44]

Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7882 is a reply to message #7872] Thu, 16 July 2020 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
borutk wrote on Tue, 14 July 2020 22:48
Jordi,

Your O4MEGA ram expansion module is nice idea but the board is interfering with one of the
keyboard supports. Could you modify it so it would have a hole in the correct place?

Best regards,
Bo/
the space was very tight and does not fit very well with the F4/FMPAC module. I think I will have to start by versioning that module, and do it on the spaces of the motherboard itself. That way I can locate all the holes.
J.S.
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7896 is a reply to message #4137] Tue, 04 August 2020 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sergey,

I finally got all my parts together, and installed in the Omega. But I'm having a few issues with the keyboard.

Mainboard version is 1.1, and Keyboard is version 1.0. The only parts not installed on the keyboard are the resistor network, and D1 power LED. RR7 on the mainboard is present. However, I'm getting weird functioning when I press keys on the keyboard. When I press '0' the screen displays '08', when I press space it displays '0 <space> *' occasionally the Code LED lights up randomly.

Any pointers?

Doug Gabbard
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7897 is a reply to message #7896] Wed, 05 August 2020 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Disregard. I had misunderstood the directions. I thought the Keyboard RN1 had been removed and moved over to the PCB on Mainboard v1.1. However, I then realized that it was still needed. All works great now, and runing MSX2+_int_NTSC flawlessly.

Now if only my SD-512 that I dumped quite a bit on several years ago actually worked, I'd be in heaven.

Doug Gabbard
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7898 is a reply to message #7686] Sat, 08 August 2020 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jordi.solis wrote on Sat, 23 May 2020 04:19
If someone want to know it I added an F4/FMPAC to my Omega computer and now some games sound actually nice.
As I would like to save the cartridge slots I didn't added the eprom chip to this board and just added the binary file to the current OMEGA firmware.
It just need to connect +-12v power source to JP1 on FMPAC board, and AMP/GND connection to pin 2,4 of U48 in the Omega motherboard.
Now Aleste sounds fantastic but a little bit low.

regads
J S
Jordi,

Since I got my Omega running the other day I got to thinking about the FM-PAC. And it may be easy to simplify the design further, omitting the +12v rail. Looking at the schematic, it appears that it's only needed for the amplifier. But other designs for computers often use just a 5v rail, such as with the schematic below. Of course, it would need a few changes, such as the 10uF cap and 4.7k resistor to be tied into the Omega's audio circuit. But that is trivial. Have you though about this?

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=1821&private=0

Doug Gabbard
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7900 is a reply to message #7897] Sun, 09 August 2020 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jdgabbard wrote on Wed, 05 August 2020 15:50
Disregard. I had misunderstood the directions. I thought the Keyboard RN1 had been removed and moved over to the PCB on Mainboard v1.1. However, I then realized that it was still needed. All works great now, and runing MSX2+_int_NTSC flawlessly.

Now if only my SD-512 that I dumped quite a bit on several years ago actually worked, I'd be in heaven.
Does your SD-512 itself not work or have you found a compatibility issue with it and the Omega? I've got one and haven't tried it yet, but I had wondered how it would interact with the onboard memory map and how it tries to run NEXTOR.
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7912 is a reply to message #7900] Thu, 13 August 2020 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bifo wrote on Sun, 09 August 2020 06:43
jdgabbard wrote on Wed, 05 August 2020 15:50

Does your SD-512 itself not work or have you found a compatibility issue with it and the Omega? I've got one and haven't tried it yet, but I had wondered how it would interact with the onboard memory map and how it tries to run NEXTOR.
It works now. I bought it about two years ago, when I only had a MSX-1. And it was supposed to only give limited functionality, so I could never test it. But highly suspected something was wrong, because it tried to boot Nextor once, but then failed. And it never did this again. When I tried it in the Omega it wouldn't work. So I did some probing around and discovered the ROM's D0 line wasn't soldered on the socket. A fine tip iron fixed the problem.

I'm now running nextor 2.1 DOS 2, and have full access to the file system as well as the MegaRAM. It doesn't appear to show the 512k when in Mapper Mode. But the MegaRAM functions fine. Sofa run works great. I haven't tried SymbOS, so I'm not sure about that.

Doug Gabbard
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7916 is a reply to message #7898] Tue, 18 August 2020 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jdgabbard wrote on Sat, 08 August 2020 16:32

Jordi,

Since I got my Omega running the other day I got to thinking about the FM-PAC. And it may be easy to simplify the design further, omitting the +12v rail. Looking at the schematic, it appears that it's only needed for the amplifier. But other designs for computers often use just a 5v rail, such as with the schematic below. Of course, it would need a few changes, such as the 10uF cap and 4.7k resistor to be tied into the Omega's audio circuit. But that is trivial. Have you though about this?

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=1821&private=0

Hi Doug.
Thank you for your suggestion.
Forgive my ignorance, but what I understand according to the diagram you show me is that we can use 5v operational amplifiers and not 12v, is that correct?
As for the resistor and the capacitor, I see that they are connected in a different way than the FMPAC scheme does. it's correct? I don't know how to calculate their values.
I was working on reducing the scheme with a GAL as Sergey suggested but I discovered that I did not know as much about the GAL as I thought, I am not sure I have enough knowledge to transform the information Sergey gave me into a JED file.
This is the configuration that Sergey suggested:
; FM chip select; FM I / O ports - 0x7C and 0x7D
/ FMCS = / IORQ * M1 * / A7 * A6 * A5 * A5 * A3 * A2 * A1
; F4 port write - 0xF4 (connect to 74LS74 CLK)
/ F4WR = / IORQ * M1 * A7 * A6 * A5 * A5 * / A3 * A2 * / A1 * A0 * / WR
; FM port read - 0xF4 (connect to SPLD OE pin 11)
/ F4RD = / IORQ * M1 * A7 * A6 * A5 * A4 * / A3 * A2 * / A1 * A0 * / RD
; F4 register output (connect D7 to D7 of cartridge, connect F4_Q to 74LS74 Q output)
D7.T = / F4RD * F4_Q

I have detected that he has repeated * A5 instead of A4 and I am no longer sure what his intention was.

It would be very nice not to have to use the 12v power supply.
The audio output of my FMPAC connects to the motherboard's op amp through a resistor and capacitor in series, I don't know how to calculate the correct value in the circuit you show.
Regards.
J S
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7917 is a reply to message #7916] Wed, 19 August 2020 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kman is currently offline  kman
I would suggest to use the LMV258 as replacement for the TL072, because the latter one is not specified for +5V single supply operation nor is the output voltage swing symmetric. The LMV258 can operate fron +2.7V... +5V5 and it's out swing is rail-to-rail. If using the voltage divider R5/R6 to have a +2.5V virtual ground U4B needs that too, otherwise it's +input will fall to virtual -2.5V and will drive it's output to ground and may be into nonlinear operation (if U3 does not supply a +2.5V offset at RO/MO outputs).

Kurt

[Updated on: Wed, 19 August 2020 02:28]

Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7918 is a reply to message #7917] Thu, 20 August 2020 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't understand at all about op-amps. ¿is quite different than using a MCP6281 like the Omega does? it's also working with Vcc=5v.
Regards.
J S.
Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7919 is a reply to message #7918] Thu, 20 August 2020 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kman is currently offline  kman
I've briefly compared theire datasheets, the LMV258 is a general purpose low cost device whilst the MCP6281 has better parameters (and might be therefore more expensive). But it's ok to choose the MCP6281. Both can operate/are specified at/for +5V. As a quick hack I've modified the schematic with gimp to show a possible configuration. Increasing R3/R4 reduces the signal amplitude (coming from U3) at Pin5 of U4B and vice versa. The two 10k create a ~2.5V working point for U4B. I've used this for my Multicomp analog joystick inputs and found that it works very well with a single supply and a non negativ going ground based signal. Nevertheless you should check wether it is usefull for you.

Kurt

[Updated on: Thu, 20 August 2020 13:29]

Re: MSX2 Compatible Computer Project [message #7920 is a reply to message #7919] Fri, 21 August 2020 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Very good,
Well, I use the F4 / FMPAC module as a mixer input in OMEGA: U48. I connect the AMP -GND output of the FMPAC to pins 2-4 of U48.
Is it safe to do this with the circuit you send me?
What security measure could I take, do I compare the signals with the oscilloscope?
Thanks in advance.
Previous Topic: New Dragon 64 clone
Next Topic: Building an Apollo Guidance Computer

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 20:05:54 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01200 seconds